Fuel Pump

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
conerry

Fuel Pump

Post by conerry »

I have a 1953 4AD that does not run. It appears that the fuel pump (electric) does not work. Any idea how to test or rebuild or get a replacement?
Any suggestions welcome!
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Rebuild kits are available from any British car parts source (Moss, British Victoria, etc.) Also, new pumps are standard pumps, MG's used 2 pumps, a high pressure pump and low pressure, Singer only used LOW pressure pumps so if you buy a new pump make sure it is a low pressure pump. I do not believe the rebuild kits make a difference, I think it is only one kit.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

What is the correct fuel pump pressure?

Mark
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Page 4 of this PDF states 3/4 to 1lb. which is quite low, many cars used the exact same fuel pump as the 4AD. For me, I switched to a electronic fuel pump near the gas tank and put a pressure regulator on. I find that much more reliable than the fuel pump on the firewall, I did leave that pump there for cosmetics however.[/url]
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Mike, I have a similar plumbing arrangement to you, with a second fuel pump in the rear, pushing instead of sucking. I also have a slight leak at the side of the carburetor where the throttle shaft goes into the carburetor. My pressure runs 2-3 psi. That is why I asked the question about what is suitable fuel pump pressure?

Mark
Bil

Post by Bil »

Although I wouldn't want to take a stand on whether it was better to have a fuel pump as a Pusher or a Sucker (hey....wasn't that a '70's movie?), I have one of the new generation electronic SU pumps mounted in the engine compartment, operating as a Sucker of course. Actually, I have it installed on the right side of the engine just slightly lower than the original mechanical 4A pump. I figured this would keep the pump and gas tank in the same relative plane and only have to move gas upwardly from one side of the engine to the other. It is rated at 1.5 psi and so far it seems to be supplying fuel adequately to my Solex carb.
Note lesson learned the hard way: Follow the SU pump instructions and always mount the outlet pipe of the pump UP if they call for that.

Bil
'51 4A
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Thanks Bil,
The Sucker vs. Pusher issue relates to a vapor locking problem that sometimes occurs down here in Southern climates that is aggravated by the fuel line running parallel to the exhaust system. You Yankees probably don't have this problem. :lol:

Best Regards,
Mark