Two into One

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
darcy
First Name: Darcy

Two into One

Post by darcy »

A couple of years ago I purchase a 1933/34 Singer Roadster. Recently I purchased another, a 1933. Both cars I believe where imported to Australia as a rolling chassis (ie usual rolling chassis plus bonnet, guards and apron) - the fire wall, scuttle and back where built by Autralian Coach builders.

Details of the cars:
First Singer
Chassis No - 50457 (1933/34)
Motor stamp - 1933
Built as a 4 seater
Home 3 08 0010a.jpg
Second Singer
Chassis No - 45385 (1933?)
Motor stamp - 1935
It appears to have been built as a 2 seater (had a MG TC fuel tank and rear)

It is not clear if the 1935 motor with the 1933 chassis is original - it is possible given how these units were delivered.
P8160317a.jpg
The first chassis has had a knock on the front right and while it has been straightened the second chassis has no damage. The first car had a very hard life and is believered to have spent its last years being driven around fields in the back of Sydney without its back.

On the other hand the second car was restored to some extend mechanically prior to 1969 - the clutch was wrapped in news paper dated October 1969. Its springs etc are in very good condition. It also came with a pair of downdraft SUs (see separate posting). The first car had twin Solex 30IS and while I now have 4 of these - getting two good ones will be a challenge.

As these cars were delivered without a body tub I can effectively restore then how I like as this was the option in the 1930's - both had humps of some sort on the scuttle at a time the UK Roadsters had a flat scuttle. At this stage I will most likely build a four seater with LM style humps on the scuttle.

So from the two I hope to have at least one car successfully on the road soon.
Last edited by darcy on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Two into One

Post by mikeyr »

ambitious project, I look forward to seeing it progress. I am envious as my own project was nearly as ambitious and has stalled.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT