seized 54 roadster engine

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
tomr
First Name: tom

seized 54 roadster engine

Post by tomr »

In an effort to turn over my roadster engine, using the crank handle, the pulley nut came off in my hand.Have I destroyed my crankshaft? TomR
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: seized 54 roadster engine

Post by mikeyr »

Need more information but I would say NO you have not, you just removed the pulley nut.

What makes you think you broke something, did something look broken when you removed the nut ?
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
FORREST
First Name: forrest

Post by FORREST »

IF THE THREADS CAME OUT WITH THE NUT YOU ARE PROBABLY OK. I WOULD NEVER TRY TO FREE AN ENGINE BY TURNING IT OVER I WOULD TOTALY DISASEMBLE THE ENGINE. YOU WILL DO MUCH LESS DAMMAGE AND IT WILL COST LESS IN THE LONG RUN.
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

The 1500 engine is pretty robust so, as others have already mentioned, unless the starter dog actually broke (ie no threads left) then looks like you are ok. Two things with seized engines: penetrating oil + time = better chance of success.

With my seized nine engine I used copious amounts of diesel fuel as the penetrant and allowed it to percolate through several times. Engines that have been left for long periods can suffer from may afflictions, rings rusted to cylinder walls. seized bearings, etc. A lot of patience and a lot of time will be a good investment and hopefully result in less damaged parts (which hopefully means less new ones to buy).

Good luck!
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
tomr

Post by tomr »

Had time to further investigate. The break was at the end of the internal threads. I removed this piece from the pulley nut and it seems the internal threads had some damage and on further inspection there may be a helicoil in there. If the internal threaded area is part of crank.it is sheared off at bottom of the tapped area. I did spray penetrating oil down cylinders when it would not turn over easily. It was not that long ago that I turned it over. Thanks for your interest and suggestions.Tom R
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I would doubt there is a helicoil in there, if you broke off the bolt in the crank and can't remove the rest, you need to find a EDM shop in your area. Here are 2 EDM websites that explain the process.

http://www.brokentap.com/

http://www.twincityedm.com/brokenbolts.htm

Its CHEAP and they will get it all out withOUT damaging the threads. My local EDM guy is a flat $20 per bolt up to 5 bolts and then drops the price to $12 per bolt. EDM disintegrates the bolt and does not damage anything else.

However I am also confused as to what you are describing, if you could post a picture, we could all see through the confusion and help more.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
tomr

Post by tomr »

If as I suspect the crankshaft extends out to accept pulley, the the last3/4in has sheared off at the end of threads. I have not been able to attach a photo. Tom