Interior details around 4AD rear seat top corner

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
kabu

Interior details around 4AD rear seat top corner

Post by kabu »

Hi All,

I am soon starting the interior work on my 4AD, 1954. However there are some details I would need some clarification.

1. I have old uphostery pieces I can use as a pattern for the rear seat itself, the vinyl pieces that cover the real wheel arches. But the vinyl covered plate that covers the inside of the body side behind the door and above the wheelarch is somewhat a mystery. It would be a great help f someone could provide me some detailed photos of this part, especially the area where this piece extends to the hood storage area behind the rear seat (See picture 1.)
Picture 1 showing the inside corner behind the rear seat back. Detail photos of this area would be very helpful.
Picture 1 showing the inside corner behind the rear seat back. Detail photos of this area would be very helpful.
2. I would also need pictures of the area behind the rear seat, Is the small vertical wall there vinyl covered?

3. I would need pictures of the flap that is sewn into the top edge of the rear seat back and will cover the hood storage when the hood is not up.

4. I have also wondered what are the rectangular holes for in the small vertical wall between the hood storage and the boot. These are marked 1. in picture 2. I know that the small holes marked 2. are used to attach the boot lid straps.
What is this rectangular hole (1.) used for?
What is this rectangular hole (1.) used for?
5. I dont have the bars for the scissor mechanism that limit the opening of the boot lid. Dimensions for these and a photo showing the details of it would be great.

I know I am asking quite a lot here, any help will be appreciated a lot. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
v6 4ad
First Name: Andy

Re: Interior details around 4AD rear seat top corner

Post by v6 4ad »

I have a set of the trunk scissor things that you ask about. I might even have a extra set. I will check tomorrow. If I do not have a extra set I can give you accurate dimensions & pictures. I have some pictures of my interior before I took it out. They might be of some help. Can sent them to you. As for the rectangle slots, dont really have a clue. I will get back tomorrow as soon as I learn something. ANDY
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

The rectangle slots I believe are for the strap that holds the spare tire on and the 2 holes are for the bracket that the strap loops through. I will see if I can find some pics. If Dave does not have the scissor stuff, I can 1. take measurements for you or 2. you pay shipping and you can have a set.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Pekka,

I am not familiar with the two rectangular holes. #2 is absolutely for the luggage straps. There is a "bar" welded to the panel that runs vertically in the center of that panel. It sticks out below the panel, into the tire/hood stowage area. There is another bar that is attached to that welded bar sandwiching a smaller strap that holds the tire in place. I will go through my photos once I get back home to see if I have something that illustrates it as well as the rear interior panels.

Great progress and continued luck!

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
v6 4ad
First Name: Andy

Post by v6 4ad »

I checked and I do have a extra set of the scissos trunk supports. As for the two holes (#2 in your photo) mine has whats left of a canvas strap. What they were used for I have no clue. I would go with what Mike & Paul said. They know far more that I do about that. I can take a photo of what is left of my strap if needed. Just let me know. ANDY
kabu

Post by kabu »

Thank you all,

I do have the luggage straps and the central strap that holds the spare tire. I will have to renew the strap of course but they are good for pattern.

Knowing Singer it is of course possible that the rectangular holes were perhaps used for something on earlier models and they have just left the holes there unused in later models as well. I also thought that they may have something to do with the hood mechanism. Should there be some straps between the hood support arches that would keep the arches at correct distance from each other when the hood is up?

I would still appreciate getting some pictures of the rear upholstery details.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer