Rear leaf springs

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Steve

Rear leaf springs

Post by Steve »

I found on my 1953 4AD that the left rear of the car was lower then the right, 1 1/4-1 1/2inches. After looking at the leaf spring, the one on the lower side is definately flattened out more. Not knowing which is correct, I wonder if anyone has dimensions that the springs should be in the unspring condition, like eye to eye dimension or drop at center from a line drawn between the eyes. Another thing that may be helpful is what the hight of the centerline of the bumper, or some other good reference point might be at the rear.

Here is another interesting thought. Are the rear springs the same, or are they different if it is a left or right hand drive car? My brother has an XKE and the torsion bars are different on the front and you mount them accordingly for right or left hand drive models.

Any information would be helpful.

thanks

steve
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Rear leaf springs

Post by mikeyr »

On the 4AD I don't think there is a difference between left and right and there is not front/rear orientation either like some earlier Singer's.

I will see if I can find some over the weekend and check them, I still have a few left over somewhere I am pretty sure. (I may have thrashed them during the move but I doubt it).
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT