4AD Earth Cables

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
kabu

4AD Earth Cables

Post by kabu »

Hi,

What is the place where the battery earth cable has been connected on the 4AD Roadster originally? Was is connecto to the body or the chassis? Then there is the separate earth cable between the chassis and the engine, what are the correct connection points for this cable?

If someone has pictures that show the original locations that would be higly appreciated.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Re: 4AD Earth Cables

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Pekka,

Still going strong! Way to go!

I do not have all the information that you are looking for, but here is a start:

Remember that this is for a LEFT-HAND drive car. The ground cable looked to be original but cut!
ground-01.jpg
Here is the cable. The bottom is attached to the gearbox (more in a later photo). The top is connected to the bolt that holds on the bracket for the horn/coil. Originally the cable would have gone to the positive post of the battery (+vs ground), but in this car the cable was cut.
ground-02.jpg
Here is the lower attachment point for the battery ground cable.

As for the engine to chassis connection... I am pretty sure there is one, I just do not have a photo and can not remember!

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
kabu

Re: 4AD Earth Cables

Post by kabu »

Hi Paul,

Yes, the project is still proceeding, a bit slowly lately because my employer limits my free time :-)

Thanks again for your help and the pictures. However there seems to be some problem with the picures and they are not shown, only the picture marker is shown.

My car is left hand drive also since it an original "Finnish" car. It is only the UK who has RHD in Europe. Well, Sweden was RHD traffic country in the fifties but they converted to LHD in 1966, that may be the only RDH to LHD traffic conversion in any country with a significant number of cars.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer