UV2674 Singer Senior Gearbox Stud

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
deejaybrown98
First Name: David

UV2674 Singer Senior Gearbox Stud

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Hi, I am new custodian of the above magnificent :) 1929 Senior. Details are as posted previously in ''Wanted Singer car Owners Information'' so no need to go into those again. She has now been named as Henrietta. Unfortunately, my plans for work on her over the winter were delayed by holidays and a broken arm . ( Luckily mine, not any of Henrietta's. That would have been a disaster :).
I'm glad to say that she is now starting and running well but still overheats quite quickly and then spits back through the carb. I will tackle that soon but for now I am checking all service grease and oil points. I have been surprised that both the Steering Box and the Gearbox have been nearly empty.
My question today is regarding a stud protruding out of bottom of gearbox with a nut screwed onto it. (see Pic). The nut is loose but I would like to know what it is for before I tighten it. I'm hoping it is just a redundant fixing for a clamp or clip that is no longer required. Seeking confirmation that there is nothing inside the gearbox directly affected by this stud.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
IMG_20240508_164007_429.jpg
David S Brown
Scottish Borders
1929 Singer Senior, 1953 AJS 18S
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: UV2674 Singer Senior Gearbox Stud

Post by ColinB »

Hello David - good to see another Singer owner. The fount of all knowledge on Seniors is Colin Borley who doesn't appear on-line but his contact details are in the UK SOC club magazine.
deejaybrown98
First Name: David

Post by deejaybrown98 »

I have been in touch with Colin Borely since buying the car last year and thought he might see the post on here.
I took your advice and emailed him direct and of course he replied with all details.
The stud is for adjustment of a spring inside the bell housing which controls the clutch release thrust bearing. :D All is now clear so I am continuing to ready the car for trip to the BVAC (Borders Vintage Automobile Club) Rally at Thirlstane Castle on June 2nd. Only 20miles away but will be first longer trip out in her. So far only been round the block a few times.
Over the winter I have really enjoyed catching up with all the excellent work being carried out by members of this Pre War forum. I was fascinated particularly by your posts for 'New Project' which has covered the whole rebuild at an astonishing pace. Thank you for the detailed coverage.
David S Brown
Scottish Borders
1929 Singer Senior, 1953 AJS 18S
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Thanks for your kind words David - I am on the last leg with my Six and have just recovered the parts of my original (too small) windscreen surround from a second friend who also has failed to work on it for the past two years (that is two friends and four years waiting in total!) so I plan to make one myself. I'll post my efforts in due course including any failures.... :lol: