Vinyl Roof Material

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
MJC
First Name: Michael

Vinyl Roof Material

Post by MJC »

Hi All,
I’m interested to know if anyone knows if “Salt and Pepper” fabric is still available anywhere. I’m looking to get a new roof and tonneau cover made for my LeMans 4 Seater but haven’t been able to find the material in Australia. Original photos of the car look like this was the material used for both the roof and the roof cover.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Michael
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: Vinyl Roof Material

Post by jeans_old_man »

Never heard of salt & pepper. Prewar cars used ‘double duck’ - two layers of black canvas separated by sheet rubber.
IMG_0010.jpeg
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

I think you need to post a picture of the original fabric.
MJC

Post by MJC »

It sounds as though “salt and pepper” might be an Australian term. The fabric is light grey with a black fleck through it.

I’ve hopefully attached a photo of the original fabric although it’s 90 odd years old so it’s faded and discoloured a bit.

I’ve also added a picture of the car taken in 1939 that clearly shows the fabric on the car. I’m also in touch with the daughter of the first owner of the car and she remembers the car as having a grey roof and tourneys cover.

I have heard of an American fabric known as Cracked Pepper but have not been able to track down the manufacturer.
MJC

Post by MJC »

Sorry but I don’t seem to be able to insert jpeg files into my posts!
MJC

Post by MJC »

Think I’ve worked out how to get photo files published!
As per my previous post, attached is a close up of the original roof and tourneau material. The other photo is of the car with original tourneau and roof cover taken at Bondi in 1939!
Attachments
IMG_3943.jpeg
IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_3974.jpeg (189 KiB) Viewed 143 times
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Martrim in the UK have quite a few hooding materials although I can't see anything like your picture. Is it possible that the material has rubbed over time to make the 'pepper and salt' look? Here is the link to Martrim so perhaps worth a look yourself. https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming- ... ooding.php
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Light grey with black flecks sounds like double duck after a few years in the sun!