35 LM Carburettors

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
MJC
First Name: Michael

35 LM Carburettors

Post by MJC »

Hi All.
I have just started a rebuild of my cars engine and have found that both the 30 IF carburettors are very corroded in the body where the emulsion tube is mounted. I think they are both right offs.
I would dearly love to be able to get them serviceable but Plan B is to use two 30FAI ones instead.

I assume this has been done by a few people.

Can anyone advise the jet sizes that will suit the LeMans.

Thanks in hope and anticipation!
Michael
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: 35 LM Carburettors

Post by ColinB »

If you are in the UK you could try the Carburetor Exchange as they have many spares for all sorts of carbs and do a very nice job of rebuilding them (see the picture of the Solex from my '37 coupe after their rebuild including a new OS float bowl). I personally would not write off an original part before trying them.

Arthur Michell also curates an enormous quantity of spares for SOC in the UK although you generally have to go there and rummage .
DSC_0005.JPG
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

The original carbs are quite rare. I assume the 30FAI was a factory replacement. You will need the adapter flanges that turn the bodies through 90 degrees.
IMG_0104.png
MJC

Post by MJC »

Thanks for the responses Gents!
Colin, I will follow up the carburettor exchange people although I’m in Australia which makes the logistics (and cost) things to be considered.
Brian, Are the carbs in the photo you posted on your car and if so do you happen to know the jet sizes in the event that I have to go down the 30FAI route?
Thanks again,
Michael
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

If they give a positive response Michael I'm happy to act as a go-between. I have done this with other members of the Australian club where a UK supplier won't post abroad.
MJC

Post by MJC »

Thanks Colin! That could be a great help. I’ll try and contact them over the coming week.
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Yes, they are on my car. According to David Andeassen’s data book the choke tube is 19 (mm?) main jet 90, correction jet 210, pilot 45, start air 3, start petrol 85. The choke tube is easily removed but you may have to turn new ones up on a lathe.

Good luck finding adapter flanges!
MJC

Post by MJC »

Thanks for the Carburettor Exchange contact, Colin. They were very helpful but do not recommend working with the 30IF carbs. The metal composition is such that most have succumbed to corrosion by now and they won’t work with them anymore.
So it’s over to Plan B -30FAI carbs!
Thanks for your help with jet sizes, Brian. In parallel to talking to you I had asked the Victorian club about the conversion and they also referred to the Andreasson book. It seems hard to get hold of a copy but I’ve been sent the relevant pages.
Carburettor Exchange have advised that Burlen Fuel Systems in UK have the rights to make Solex jets So I will contact them to see what they can supply.
nth
First Name: Neil

Post by nth »

I've a nine sports with the SS (leMans) engine.
Currently running 90 Main, 200 air correction. Have used 250 ac but a little lean.
Ian Blackburn recommended - 90 main, 180 air correction
All with 19mm choke tube
Other jets -see Ian Blackburns Nine Workshop P74
Cheers
Neil
MJC

Post by MJC »

Thanks for the data, Neil. I’ll check out the bible!