Quick update on my 4AD - and... new lug nuts?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
jholmgren
First Name: Jim

Quick update on my 4AD - and... new lug nuts?

Post by jholmgren »

Afternoon everyone,

Been a bit since I posted. I've been busy with my son's Spitfire and his newborn daughter (our first grandchild!) so I haven't done much with the Singer.
Last week I got a new set of tubes/tires for it so once I get a few other things sorted (brake adjustment, carb rebuild) - I can start taking it on some short trips to give it a bit of a road-going shake-down.

On the carb rebuild - I found a company that sells the rebuild kit for the FAIO carb. Seems to contain all the gaskets, o-rings and even new needle valve and volume control screw/spring. I'll report back after I have a chance to use it.

My question today - is there a source for new lug nuts? The ones on my 4AD are "ok", but I'm an opportunist and if I have something apart, I like to clean/replace parts while I'm at it. They don't seem to be an SAE thread based on my thread checker. If not - I'll run them on my wire wheel and clean them up a bit before I put them back.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Quick update on my 4AD - and... new lug nuts?

Post by mikeyr »

I have never seen lug nuts on any other car like the 4AD and you are right, they are BSF or Witworth treads. That means other British cars should fit but they won't look the same and may not work as well depending on the angle against the wheel.

I have often thought of making some, it does not look like they would be hard to do but then I sold the 4AD.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the confirmation. Mine aren't terrible so I can keep using them. The threads seem fine, they're just a bit rusty on the outside. Nothing a wire wheel won't clean up if I really want.
I always put my lug nuts on by hand so I don't over-torque them, never trust tire shops to install them after one spun 2 of my Spitfire's studs with their air gun years ago.
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

Sure it are nuts for the 4AD? I have a spare axle who does not fit on the 4A, who has bolts.
Always had the Idea it should be from a later type, the 4AD.
The only difference with the 4A is the length, and he has bolts. The same as the old Morris Minors from 1950.
For the nuts I can take a look on my tools, I have a threat tap who fits.
Singer 4A 1950
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

Pretty sure. I bought it from the family of a guy who had the car since 1962, I'm not 100% sure but I believe they are original.
ringtrev2
First Name: Trevor

Post by ringtrev2 »

Hi all the wheel nuts on 4AD are 7/16 BSF thread.