9 LM inner door hardware

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 9 LM inner door hardware

Post by mikeyr »

Step 1
IMG_6198.jpeg
And the square hole in the second handle is NOT square so it does not fit.
IMG_6199.jpeg
Guess I will have to hand fit everything by hand

I have set up the mill to make an oversized square since both handles from the UK club are not the same size. Hand filing to last fit. I don’t like it but have to work with what I have
IMG_6200.jpeg
IMG_6201.jpeg
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Hard part done ! Both square ends are made. Still have to drill and tap the end but that is later on the lathe.

The square part is 0.325 although in the pictures earlier in this thread the square part is measured as 0.344. I am guessing that is the difference between original and the SOC’s reproductions. Either way I have the repros so made it to fit. Both handles have different size holes so I will hand fit the square peg.

Next is to turn the remaining part of the shaft to size after I guess the approximate length. And that is the easy part. I also have to cut/make the plate and mechanism but I can cut all that on the band saw. When I figure out the length and other details I will post up drawings and specs.
IMG_6203.jpeg
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

It looks as if you have a decent workshop Mike so that helps!
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

ColinB wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:24 am It looks as if you have a decent workshop Mike so that helps!
Back when my daughter was in high school and college and dating she used to tell her boyfriends, never ask if my father has a tool, just ask where it is.

That is about right !!!

So far, nothing done that could not be done with a file and I think the whole thing could be done with file if you didn't reduce the size of the shaft which I am not sure is required but was done at factory so i will do it. Some tools just make it easier.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Machining mostly done for the prototype. I decided to put a bushing in the plate instead of a washer (original may have been a bushing or washer can’t tell from the pictures). And i soldered it in because while it was a slight press fit i was worried it might rotate someday. Back half of the shaft is still too long but I don’t have 1/4” steel plate to cut the lever arm from so waiting to cut that. The first part of doing the square end does not need a machine but thinning the back would be a long job on a drill press with a file, a lathe is better. Have to get some 1/4” steel before I move on
IMG_6259.jpeg
IMG_6258.jpeg
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

First, yes it is brass. It is not chromed but polished where it has rubbed in the hole through the door card.
Second, The handles you have are off a four seater. The doors are longer and the plates are mounted ‘square’. See picture below.
Third, instead of modifying the handles can you not simply rotate the ‘L’ shaped striker pate by 45 degrees? Presumably it is located by having notches around the mounting hole that the peening squeezes into. (The same way that the spring mounting pegs are prevented from turning!)

file.php.jpeg
Sorry, this is the best picture I have at the moment!