Dash question(s)

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
jholmgren
First Name: Jim

Dash question(s)

Post by jholmgren »

Hello Everyone,
More newbie questions. Dashboard this time. I have car # 1610, so it looks like it would have had the earlier dash. What is on the car now is a home-made dash (stained plywood) that has all the controls in incorrect positions and several missing. I'd like to replace it with something correct.
Questions:
1) Does anyone have a dimensional drawing of the earlier dash - or even an old/used one that I can use as a template? I'm relatively adept at woodworking so I'd love to make my own. Happy to purchase it from you or pay 2-way postage to borrow it.
2) I do not see a Trafficator switch indicated on the dash drawing here: https://www.singercars.com/4ad-dashboard/ - is it located elsewhere in the car? My car definitely has holes in the body for Trafficators, although they are missing.

Thanks!
Jim
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Re: Dash question(s)

Post by tvdwerf »

Important is the type of the car, if yours is the 4A, the trafficator switch is on the steering wheel.
I think a copy from an original dashboard is not easy to find. A lot are modified, or replaced by "home made" .

Mine is a 4A, it looks like with a copy from he original, but to much damaged to keep in use.
Singer 4A 1950
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

tvdwerf wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:53 am Important is the type of the car, if yours is the 4A, the trafficator switch is on the steering wheel.
I think a copy from an original dashboard is not easy to find. A lot are modified, or replaced by "home made" .

Mine is a 4A, it looks like with a copy from he original, but to much damaged to keep in use.
Thanks for the reply - I forgot to mention it's a 4AD. I'm in the US.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Trafficators were a option, not on every car. The switch was on the aluminum part of the cowl in the dip in the center of the car. Should be a picture of my old 4AD somewhere in the gallery that will show the correct dash. On the early cars, I only assume that if the trafficator option was purchased, the switch went in the same place as the later cars.

***edit*** found it https://www.singercars.com/4ad-pictures/ about half way down, you will see a decent picture of a original dash. Sort of original :) the originals were covered in "Leatherette" I wanted wood and used Red Narra because I liked it, original was some kind of cheap wood like mahogany with the vinyl designed to look like leather.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

mikeyr wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:27 pm Trafficators were a option, not on every car. The switch was on the aluminum part of the cowl in the dip in the center of the car. Should be a picture of my old 4AD somewhere in the gallery that will show the correct dash. On the early cars, I only assume that if the trafficator option was purchased, the switch went in the same place as the later cars.

***edit*** found it https://www.singercars.com/4ad-pictures/ about half way down, you will see a decent picture of a original dash. Sort of original :) the originals were covered in "Leatherette" I wanted wood and used Red Narra because I liked it, original was some kind of cheap wood like mahogany with the vinyl designed to look like leather.
Great info - thanks! I can only assume that my car did not come with the trafficators, since the aluminum is intact where yours shows the switch - although there are slots cut in the body for them. You would think it would be either-or and they wouldn't provide open slots if trafficators were not ordered with the car. That's what is throwing me off. This car is such an interesting mystery to me. I'm used to much more mainstream British cars like Triumphs, MGs and Healeys, where pretty much everything is well-documented somewhere and with 5-10 minutes of web searching you can get the answer you need - and it's probably correct 80% of the time!

My car also has the dip switch on the floorboard, so it seems like it's a mixed bag between the early and 2nd iteration of the dash configurations. I doubt (I guess it's possible) a previous owner would have rerouted the dip switch from the dash to the floor, but I guess stranger things have certainly happened. In any case, none of my dash components aside from the 2 main instruments, are original. I suspect it's going to be a tall order to find correct buttons and switches, I might have to make do with something that looks period correct even it it wasn't for this particular car.