fixing a issue the wrong way

A place for you to make suggestions on improvements, etc.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

fixing a issue the wrong way

Post by mikeyr »

Ok, I have a issue with the MAIN website, if you click on the "Forum" or "Gallery" in the main website menu AND you are using Apple's Safari browser, you will get a error that the certificate is not valid. It is valid... I have tried to fix it for a long time now but the only way to really fix it for sure is pay for a certificate instead of using the freebie that my host provides. And it works for most browsers anyway. It also works if you go back and click on the "Forum" link a second time.

So for now, until Apple fixes their known issue in Safari, I have made the menu item on the main forum go to a non HTTPS (S = Secure) link, its the same forum, same everything, just goes to HTTP instead of HTTPS. I figure this is ok for the Gallery since there is no login there, so you don't have to type in a password or anything. But on the forum, you will have to type in a password and it will go out over the wire non-encryted, if that bothers you, then change the address to HTTPS and login.

I am OK with doing this change for now since, by looking at the web statistics, the large majority of you users come here directly and not from the main website, also Safari is not commonly used. Also Ok with this change since Apple has admitted its a issue so it will be fixed and I will revert to HTTPS. But just FYI, if you get a error, try it a second time, it usually works.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: fixing a issue the wrong way

Post by mikeyr »

Ok, so the issue is better :)

I changed my license and changed the link to www.forum.singercars... from forum.singercars.... and that fixes the problem on Apple's Safari. So from the main website menu, the forum link now works :)

Nothing else has changed, if you are used to forum.singer... it will still work as long as you are not on Apple's Safari, but www.forum.singer... is now live so it works, its all the same website, it does not matter how you get here and post, just that you do come and post :)

I did look into paying for a certificate but the site already costs quite a bit (out of my pocket, not any clubs pocket) so if I can make it work with a free certificate, I am all for it. Apple will fix it someday, they have admitted its a issue.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT