British on the Green

List or Discuss Singer Events here.
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

British on the Green

Post by Paul Bouchard »

With a weekend weather report at home filled with rain, what better way to spend it in the company of fellow Singerites in the warmth of Maryland and Virginia.

The show was Britain on the Green held at the Collingwood Library and Museum on the Potomac River. NASOC member Gene Abbondelo was attending with his ’49 1500 powered 4A and had invited Phillip Avis and myself to join him.

We gathered ourselves up and made our way to Gene’s and a drive in his 4A for the drive to the field. Something has to be said for a 1500 engine in a 4A since that car really moved! Part of the drive included a sprint on the highway and when we were not passing cars, they were slowing down to take a look at us. A carload of teenage girls on their way somewhere got out their camera-phones to take some shots so look out for Gene, Phillip and Paul on You-Tube! (Check out the good-looking guy in the back seat)

When we arrived at the field we were taken aback to hear that the show was full! Some quick thinking by our driver Gene solved that hiccup. He mentioned to the organizers that we had the NASOC NEWS staff on board all the way from Montreal and they were writing an expose on the show and… and… Well it worked and we were quickly on our way to the designated spot.

The nice thing about British on the Green is that the cars are parked in pockets around the museum’s grounds. The MGs were parked suitably away from the Singer so as not to suffer from lack of interest. They did garner a choice location with a view of the Potomac River. Another pocket of cars featured a fair contingent of Bentleys and just to let you know how small our world really is one of the Bentley owners knew NASOC member Len Pearcey! Seems that Len had done some work on one of his cars and he was eager to share how pleased he was at the quality of Len’s work. Good show Len! Bil also showed up to lend his support, which with the amount of people gathered around the feisty 4A was definitely appreciated.

For those (like us) visiting the day of the show was also the day to go home. Getting together with Gene and Bil was great.

A la prochaine (until the next time).
Attachments
gene on hwy.JPG
gene on hwy.JPG (50.3 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
les boys - maryland style.JPG
les boys - maryland style.JPG (104.16 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
pretty car.JPG
pretty car.JPG (106.88 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Sounds like a AWESOME day and everyone look out, I have a video of it to put on the front page this weekend. That makes 4 videos now, time to make a special page for them.

The problem with videos on the front page is that it slows down the loading of the page, so I won't keep them there forever but I will keep putting them up if you guys keep sending them. I will even look into a "streaming server" if you keep sending me videos.

Look on the home page for Genes car under way.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT