down time and why were we down so long

A place for you to make suggestions on improvements, etc.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

down time and why were we down so long

Post by mikeyr »

The server that hosts this web site was hacked on Oct 22 at about 10:46AM, I learned of it at noon same day. This website was not hacked and is all good but what they did to the server was install a root kit which gave the hackers administrative privileges to everything. From the logs, they did not harm the website but I was worried they would go after the e-mail addresses of everyone registered so I shut down the website. I had it back up 2 days later as the "main" website only and the forum and gallery were off line. I did that because I wanted to make sure they did not insert a "backdoor" into the database that when I re-installed everything would re-allow them access. My work threw me for a loop and I was SUPER busy with lots of overtime AND the day after the hack, I had a unexpected death in the family, I was not in the mood for Singer stuff, sorry...

It appears the hackers were not interested in our e-mail addresses anyway, what they did was create a for sale ad on Craigslist in Florida, when someone clicked on that Craigslist ad, there was a link for more information, that more information link would have looked harmless to anyone since it was pointing to a fake web page on singercars, when they clicked the link it immediately came to the fake page here on singercars and then immediately re-directed the user to a Phishing web site in Russia where they would try to get the user to enter their personal information. It appears now that all they wanted was a harmless looking server for that middle link to redirect with and not our e-mails or anything personal information. However, I took the server down as a precaution so I could have time to look at the logs and then things happened in my life and it took a while to get back up.

Ok, that is the information, the server is back up with all up to date operating system and patches, this forum software is updated, passwords (mine not yours) have been changed all over and are more secure (harder to remember) and we are back up and running, I still need to get the gallery up and running but that is this weekends task.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Re: down time and why were we down so long

Post by Mark Thompson »

Mike,
Thanks for your diligence and time spent doing a thankless job.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
mothy
First Name: Roland

Post by mothy »

I second that, better safe than sorry......

Thank you for your time and effort.

Roly
-----------------------------------------------
Used to own a 1934 Singer Le Mans

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

Mike,

Thanks for your efforts. As the executives said Family First!
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

OK the Gallery is BACK UP... Enjoy...
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT