How to add-on to your garage in a weekend

A place for you to make suggestions on improvements, etc.
my68vet

How to add-on to your garage in a weekend

Post by my68vet »

Hi,
I read you article How to add-on to your garage in a weekend I have a couple of questions.. Reason I'm asking my garage is only 8 feet from floor to ceiling and I was wondering if the lift would fit.

Where did you get your lift?

How high is your garage from floor to ceiling?

Thank you,
Larry Walsh
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I had 8 1/2 ft. total, I could easily get 2 singers in that height, one car on top of the other but with the windshield folded down on both cars, could not have the windshield up on even one car.

I have since "redecorated" the garage and now have enough room to put even a real car on the lift.

I got my lift from Lifts Unlimited, nice lift although at the time I had some concerns, they have been proven to be unfounded.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

For the 2 others that have asked in PM's, I prefer to answer here so everyone can benefit. My garage roof peak goes left-right so I had rafters in the way making a 8'6" ceiling. I was able to remove 2 rafters to make a section that is 7ft. wide and allow the cars to go up higher, so in the first picture you can see what it was like for a year or so, extremely tight but it worked as the lift was used mostly for storage and not actual work.

After a while I wanted to use the lift for work and I would sit in a old office chair and roll around under the car, it worked quite well but certainly was not ideal. After removing the 2 rafters and doing some reinforcing where i removed them, I can now get a "normal" car up about 7ft. off the ground if I place it just right, I have to place so that the roof of the car goes up into the peak of the garage roof but it works quite well, I can even get my wife's SUV up on the lift to change its oil, just have to be very careful locating it on the list. Normal cars like my Dino or Singer's fit perfectly.

More pictures are at http://singer.rambour.com/garage/ these were taking while I was installing my garage floor tiles so NO the floor is not normally that clean :)
Attachments
garage_lift.jpg
garage_lift.jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT