down time

A place for you to make suggestions on improvements, etc.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

down time

Post by mikeyr »

THERE will be down time Oct. 23 in the afternoon or evening, hopefully not long. Getting a new wire put in (read faster and better connection)
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

A issue with new connection...

The connection will be made by close of business Oct. 23 Pacific time (Calif. time), however I will not be able to know the new IP addresses prior to that so after the new connection will be made I will have to change the DNS and that will take a few hours to propagate.

If you don't know what that all means, its likely the site will be down for 2-3 hours, more in some parts of the world, less in others. It takes a full 24-36 hours to propagate the new IP's around the world but most major ISP's (where you get your internet) will find the new site with in a few hours.

Yes, I am upset. I am not on a dynamic IP system, I have static addresses for the server and I can't believe they wont assign me the new ones in advance, for that matter, I don't understand why I have to change the IPs (the numeric address for Singercars, computers understand numbers)

I will have the backup server up and running also so that the site will be available as quickly as possible but the backup does NOT have this forum on it and as it is the old server, its information is very stale.

In the end I this will be worth it, we will have 8 IP's available for enhancements like blogs.singercars.com or forum.singercars.com to help people find what they want on the site quickly. And it will allow me to separate the various websites I run here, like my pizza website and my Dino website.
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

And to top it all off...with fires yet again in the region, many many miles from me although we are having a very brown day due to smoke, we are having sporadic electricity issues. So far they have just been 2-3 minutes long and the UPS has kept the system going, but you have been warned.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

See, I told you I did not have a lot of confidence in my providers ability to make the switch over work first time...

Turns out our connection was configured at their end for only 1 machine so Singercars did not work, other sites worked right away. All better now...

On a faster connection, hopefully more stable connection although in the past we have been awfully stable and reliable anyway AND I have new addresses available, so now I can set up things like blogs.singercars.com

Any issues, let me know.
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

Mike,

Thank you for your continuing efforts to make the NASOC site the best in the world! By the way you could say Fiat Dino that is on the lift now above the LeMans!!
BRG :D
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible