Electronic Ignition for 4AD ?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Re: Electronic Ignition for 4AD ?

Post by Mark Thompson »

Paul,
I sincerely appreciate your interest and willingness to work on this project for Singer ignition systems. I am sure you would deliver a quality product that would perform well. My feeling is that most of our members that are running stock 4AD engines would want to keep the engine looking as original as possible. I have kept our correspondence on this website, instead of e-mail or phone, so that other members could have input. If I am wrong, I wish some members would speak up. I would be glad to assist anyone in moving this project forward, but I don't feel it would be profitable for you. I can probably locate a distributor for you to work with if there is still interest out there.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
c5performance
First Name: Paul

Post by c5performance »

I was told there are not many Singer cars left, but since the distributor is shared with other vehicles, we could start a group project covering all the models that could use them.
So far i haven't seen anyone else who wants one for a Singer, so maybe these cars start and run good and don't need upgrades.

As you saw from the pictures, we can keep it looking "mostly" stock, and since you don't drive around with the hood up, the benefits of instant starting, less oil burning, mileage and power improvements, and no maintenance should be incentive enough (in my mind) to give one a try.

How do i get these posts to show up via email? Can i make an adjustment on my profile to send me a notice? I'll leave an offer on the table...if anyone wants to work with us on a kit, i am all for giving it a go. My email is paul@c5ignitions.com

Take care for now.
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Today, I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition module in my 1952 4AD to replace the points & condenser. My distributor is a Lucas DKY4A # 40167. I used Part No. LU-146LSP12 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts for about $160 including shipping. It can also be ordered directly from Pertronix using their online store. The module included a rotor that is slightly shorter than the original to allow clearance over the module. It was a simple installation and is barely discernible from outside the distributor. It did require cutting the condenser off the baseplate to make room for the module. That was no problem as I had an assortment of old condenser baseplates. The car runs and idles very smoothly. Tomorrow, I will take it for a test drive and I will keep everyone posted if I encounter any problems.
Hopefully, I'll never have to replace points or condensers again.

Happy Singering!

Mark Thompson
Last edited by Mark Thompson on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Put a hundred miles on my car yesterday. 90 degrees outside and ran great with no stalling! I'm pleased.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
1952 4AD
Bil

Post by Bil »

Mark,
This is not to derail your exploring of this wonderful new technology, but your original question was asking who had tried electronic ignition, so I will jump in. I installed the Pertronix ignition in my 4A with 1074cc. perhaps nearly 10 years ago. I believe the Pertronix man had not done a 4A previously so I sent him my distributor (with no vacuum advance) and he sent it back with the kit installed. In my case, there was no difference in performance between running points and the Pertronix, just an improvement in maintenance. And I retained the Lucas Sports coil rather than the Pertronix Flame Thrower coil.
I have heard a few stories about sudden unexpected failures of electronic ignition, probably in a most inconvenient location, but mine have served well so far. Just keep a points plate in the trunk.
Bil
c5performance

Post by c5performance »

Here is a Kawasaki W1 kit we just created. It's the only one right now, but the gentleman owns 5-6 and wants this on every one.
He didnt send the cap, but look at how it fits down into the distributor so people wont know its there.

Multi sparking is the best invention...lol. It starts better, idles better, and gains 10-20% more "rear wheel" power on every dyno run I've ever done.
Pertronix kits are not bad, but they will not increase power or improve operation over points. It's a great upgrade to eliminate points though!

I'm just going to keep teasing you until someone orders a kit. After that, everyone will want one (I hope).

Have a great week gentleman.
Attachments
W1 project.jpg
c5performance

Post by c5performance »

I have two people interested in our ignition kit. Perhaps a few others might be lurking in the shadows? If we are going to design a kit for the Singer, now is the time. Spring and Summer are very busy for us. Hopefully everyone has a nice shoveled path to their garage and projects are getting done. I am throwing in a teaser pic. We just finished up the Oldsmobile project and I think it really turned out great. Take care gentlemen!!

Paul Crowe
Attachments
Oldsmobile kit
Oldsmobile kit
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Post by 50's car buff »

Mark could you post a picture of the installation of your new Pentronix electronic ignition module? It would help me understand how it works.
Thanks, Louis
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Louis,
Give me a day or two and I will beglad to take some pictures. I will try to post them, but I haven't had much success in the past with posting pictures in the past. send me your e-mail address and I will be sure that you get them. I will try to post them to share with others.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
Last edited by Mark Thompson on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Post by 50's car buff »

Mark: My address is Louis_levin at yohoo dot com replace the at with the @ and the dot with a . I do it that way so no automatic hacker can get my address.
Thanks for helping out.
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Just as I thought the photo files were too large to post here. I will e-mail them to you. I have this problem every time that I try. Mike has helped me in the past. Maybe there is some way Mike can post directions on the forum that would be readily available to incompetent people like me. :oops:

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

you need to resize your pictures, I will write up some instructions....
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
William Howerth
First Name: William

Post by William Howerth »

I have run a positive ground Pertronix in my Singer4AD for three years now with no issues. My Mustang is a different story, they only seem to last about a year and a half but that is a very high performance motor. I switched to a Mallory in that one. Back to the Singer, use the Pertronix, buy two. Put one in the distributor and one in the glove box. Car idles better and runs smoother too.
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

William Howerth wrote: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:06 pm I have run a positive ground Pertronix in my Singer4AD for three years now with no issues. My Mustang is a different story, they only seem to last about a year and a half but that is a very high performance motor. I switched to a Mallory in that one. Back to the Singer, use the Pertronix, buy two. Put one in the distributor and one in the glove box. Car idles better and runs smoother too.
I know this is an old thread, and hope your still an active member. But would you have a part number on this Pertronix item ? And would it work on my 52 L4AD ?
52 Singer 4AD
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

Or anyone's input would be nice also. My mechanic friend thinks going with electronic ignition is the way to go with my restore. I've only tried "The Distributor Doctor" in the UK so far. And his price is about $200. in USD, and that doesn't even include the rotor or cap.
52 Singer 4AD