Running board rubber ends

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Running board rubber ends

Post by fly4ad »

Greetings,
In an effort to do my best to bring the 1952 4AD back to near original, one OEM type part that has been very difficult to find have been these 8 chrome bullet ends on the running board rubber. I have found some that would work in a pinch, but do not look original. With that said, I have come to the conclusion that I might go down the road of making them or having some made. Beside myself, I know of others that are in need as well. So I’m looking into it, but I need an OEM sample to start with. I need to buy or borrow one of these to get the size, shape, dimensions, and so on. If there is anyone out there that has one, and is willing to part with it, at least for a short time, we could get the ball rolling on this project.

Thanks again for all the help you all have provided! :P
Have a blessed day,
Fred
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Running board rubber ends

Post by mikeyr »

I have a few you can have...I even have one brand new never used original somewhere.

I have several old ones that would work for a pattern and I know where they are, the new one I have not seen in a few years but I should be able to find it. I bought back in the late 70's when I was finishing up my 4AD at the time. Actually I bought 8 and they gave me all 9 they had in stock. I will take a look around, PM me your address and I will send either a old one or 2 or the new one (new one I want back, the old ones you can trash when done with them).
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the help! I have sent a PM with my address, please let me know the shipping cost.
Have a blessed day!
Fred
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Mike & Fred ,,. I am in need of the rubber strips that go on the running board,...any idea where I can purchase them from or maybe someone could post a picture of the end profile so I can try and source them here in Australia .. Stephen
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

Stephen,

NASOC has a limited supply of this. It takes 86" to do both running boards. you need a steel strip (original) to hold the rubber. PM me to get cost.

BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

PM sent Dave .. Stephen
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Hello all,

I am still in need of one of these chrome ends to use as a pattern. If anyone out there has a sample they can part with, or one I can borrow, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Fred
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Fred .. I came across a few old ones the other day .. PM me your address and I will post them to you .. Stephen
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Further to the above post .. I just bought some 19 mm from Paul Beck and they fit perfectly over the original rubber..see below ..

970.19 - tread end cap - 19mm wide end cover
view part »
cast chrome on brass end cover plate, supplied with a drill hole. the finishing end for aluminium/rubber treads. offered in three different size widths.
please note that the measure is the...

Price from: £4.25 each (£5.10 inc. VAT)

Stephen
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Stephen wrote:Hi Fred .. I came across a few old ones the other day .. PM me your address and I will post them to you .. Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Sent a PM. If you didn't get it, just let me know! I have the feeling some of my previous PMs never made it to the recipient, probably an error on my part.

Thanks a bunch for the help!!! :P

Fred
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Fred,
received PM OK and have responded..
Stephen
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Hey Stephen,
I have received the chrome tip samples you sent for the running board rubber strips. Thank you so very much, I appreciate your time and effort!!! :P I’m looking into options to replicate, keeping the OEM look. So far I haven’t found the ideal option. I’ll keep you all posted in case there are others that are interested, I know of at least one other. It might lower the cost the more we need.
Thanks again, have a blessed day!
Fred
bmlindbert
First Name: Brook

Post by bmlindbert »

Add me to the list for 8 of the end caps. I bought the rubber from the club back in the 80's.
My email is bmlindbert@aol.com
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

The project is on the back burner but needs to be put up front! Chrome plating nearly all the 4AD parts on this car is on the near horizon! I still have no good economical fix to this problem, but I don't easily give up! :P
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Post by 50's car buff »

How about a picture of these ends you all are talking about. My running boards have black rubber inserted into an aluminum holder one about 13 inches long the other about 26 inches with the rubber end tapered on each end. See attached picture.
Louis
Attachments
Singer Running Board 001.JPG