1952 4AD crankcase breather pipe

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

1952 4AD crankcase breather pipe

Post by fly4ad »

Hello all,

I am in need of a 1952 4AD crankcase breather vent pipe. It is an L shaped steel pipe that mounts to the front L/H side of the engine block and vents to the lower left side of the oil pan. If you have one that you can part with, please let me know.

Thanks, have a great day!

Fred
fly4ad

Re: 1952 4AD crankcase breather pipe

Post by fly4ad »

Greetings,
As I suspected, replies to this post have not been overwhelming! Even Bill Haverly in the UK didn’t have one! :cry: With that said, I’ll put the backup plan into action, namely to make or repair the vent that I have. I say repair only because I do have the end that bolts to the crankcase plus about 2 inches. What I need help with is the shape and dimensions (mainly length) of the tube after it makes the bend downward. I do have a general idea after looking at the engine detail drawing. If anyone can supply basic dimensions of this tube, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again, have a blessed day!
Fred
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Hello Fred,
I checked my breather tube last night and here is what I found. The tube extends out approximately two inches, then turns down 90 degrees for approximately two inches, then angles to the rear at approximately 30 degrees and extends for 8 inches and end with a 45 degree bevel cut open to the rear. I am sure that this is the original pipe that came with my car, however the Singer engine drawing looks like the 30 degree bend is further down than two inches. You might want to confirm this with someone else. I had one made for my second project car at a local hydraulic hose manufacturer. They made one for me that is identical to the one I described and did an excellent job. They should be able to swage the end for it to fit over your existing stub, if you so desire. Good luck with your project!

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Thanks Mark! This is exactly the information I needed. :P

Is there a way that this thread can be transferred to the 4s and up section? I assume that after a short time, this will be deleted from the classified section. This is info that someone will surely need in the future!

Thanks again!
Fred
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Fred,

I saw this post only now at the 4's and up section since I had not looked at the parts wanted section recently.

Anyway, I might have a spare breather pipe since I have two spare engines. I need to check when I go the garage next time.

BR/
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer