4AD bumpers

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Steve

4AD bumpers

Post by Steve »

Trying to decide on getting the bumpers rechromed or replace them. Rechroming is quite expensive in this area, $250 and up each bumper.
I see that MG TD bumpers are available for less, and wonder if anyone has used them for their Singers. How do they compare size wise, mounting holes, etc. to the originals? I know for the purist using MG bumpers would not be acceptable but new chrome would look better then what I have now.
Thanks
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 4AD bumpers

Post by mikeyr »

They are close, not right but close. The mounting holes don't match up to the original Singer brackets but you can drill new holes in the Singer brackets and use the MG holes. You will lose the hand crank. And the curvature is wrong but like I said close.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Re: 4AD bumpers

Post by fly4ad »

Thinking ahead for my restoration project, I would like to find a repairable set of original style bumpers. Someone out there might just have a set that can be restored. If so, please keep me in mind! :P I'm not sure where you're located Steve, but if you decide to go the MG route, and want to part with your repairable (if they are) bumpers, keep me in mind. It might help you offset the cost of the new ones.

Fred