Armstrong Lever Action Shock Absorbers

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Armstrong Lever Action Shock Absorbers

Post by Mark Thompson »

I've been having problems with my rear shock absorbers on my 1952 4AD leaking. I've been looking for replacements for some time without success. After some research on the internet, I have discovered that they are designed to leak in order to lubrictae the shaft. That was not what I was hoping to find because of the difficulty in refilling these in their awkward location. My shocks seem to work okay when they have fluid in them. The leaks are most noticeable when I trailer my car and the bouncing in the trailer seems to pump the fluid out around the shafts. Mine require refilling about every 1000 miles.

In searching the internet, I found that most often people are resolving this problem by having them rebuilt. The recommended rebuild includes replacing the shaft bearings and machining and installing double lip seals on the shaft.

World Wide Auto Parts in Madison Wisconsin provides that service for $70/shock. www.nosimport.com (1-800-362-1025)

I am going to give them a try and see how it does. We'll see.........

Note: According to the MotorTrader article that every Singer owner is familiar with, the shocks are a model DAS8. I cannot find those identifying numbers anywhere on my shocks. The numbers stamped on my Armstrong lever action shocks are 4466R for the right one and 4466L for the left one.

I thought that I would share this information in hopes that it may be of use to someone.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson