Chassis plate versions

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
kabu

Chassis plate versions

Post by kabu »

Hi,

I will start a new topic about the Roadster chassis plates, even though there has been discussion about them in other topics as well lately. Howeven I am focusing here on the different variations of the plates. I think I have mentioned that I am missing the original brass chassis plate for the car I am restoring and have also asked from here if reproductions are available anywhere. Apparently various Singer clubs have fabricated small batches of them at various times but none are readily available now. I have then decided to try fabricating one myself and while seeking reference information and pictures from the chassis plates I have found that there are many different versions of the chassis plate.

Seems like there are two major types. The earlier one that is used on 4A's, 4AB's, 4AC's and early 4AD's is shown below:
Earlier chassis plate design
Earlier chassis plate design
4AB7393U.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
The later type appears to be introduced some time between chassis numbers 4AD 703 V and L4AD 1787 V in 1952 and is shown below.
Later chassis plate design
Later chassis plate design
The difference in those two types are easy to spot. But I also found out that there are smaller variations in under both of those major types because for some strange reason the lubricant manufacturer column order varies. I can only guess why.

I have also made a page about this on my web site with more reference pictures and information at
http://www.guru-group.fi/~kabu/index.ph ... &Itemid=91

Does anyone have any information or guesses why there are so many different variations? Or is it just one of those things where Singer changed things "on the go".

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Chassis plate versions

Post by mikeyr »

I have never seen the older version on a 4AD and I have seen a lot of 4AD's 8)

Other than that, I can't help.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

L4AD1479 V is my Singer's chassis number. Yes it is a reproduction plate I acquired probably 30 years ago. I believe I have the original too but can't lay my hands on it. I do have a plate from L4AD2040W and it is identical to 1479. The only difference in the repro I can see is the bottom line For Overseas...... is slightly moved in from both edges say like one letter from the holes on the edge. If you could find out when the patent numbers for the sway bar and the gearbox thrust collar lock might narrow down the date. Very interesting detective work there KABU!

BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

I have three chassis plates and I would have sworn they were all the same, but on closer look, they are as follows:

L4AD1849V - Shell/Wakefield/Esso/Vacuum/Prices

L4AD2848W & L4AD2699W(parts car) - Esso/Vacuum/Prices/Shell/Wakefield

Otherwise, they are the same (no variations within the columns either).

Mark Thompson
philsinger9
First Name: phil

Post by philsinger9 »

Hi lokking for a chassis plate for my 149 singer roadster any ideas Phil