Engine Cylinder sleeve

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Engine Cylinder sleeve

Post by fly4ad »

Has anyone tried or have any experience sleeving the cylinders on the 4AD? I have a lead on an engine block that has major corrosion in #3 cylinder. The corrosion is very deep, looks like half way through the cylinder wall. :shock: Is this salvageable?
BRG
First Name: Dave

Re: Engine Cylinder sleeve

Post by BRG »

A good machine shop should be able to do this. The sleeve should have a top ridge so the sleeve cannot move up or down. Probably would not move up because of the cylinder head but a friend had a sleeve with out a ridge slip down enough to have the top ring pop out and stop the motor. Lucky it was just idleing.

BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Sleeved my cylinders 2 years ago with no problems (about 3000 miles ago).

Mark Thompson
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

where are you located ? you are welcome to one my blocks, they all have rust in the bores but at least its consistent and not one cylinder that is real bad. I think I have 3 blocks left, sorry the others went to the dump.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m located in the Atlanta GA area. I located a complete engine that has a visually sound block, except for that one cylinder locked-up and down-right ugly with corrosion. Not being familiar with engine sleeves, it appeared to me that it was too far gone. After further ongoing education, I’ve come to the conclusion that it probably can be sleeved with no problem. My block has an ugly weld repair on the distributor side which I planned to repair with a plate and some aviation quality sealer, which would require no fasteners. I think it will work just fine with little cosmetic impact. My first choice however would be to replace the block. On the other hand, my dilemma is taking the original running engine, that will require an easy, low cost repair, and start from scratch and build another engine at a cost of who knows how much. This car has all the original major components that it came from the factory with, and it would be nice to keep it that way.

Mike, what do you think a stamp would cost to mail a block to GA?

By the way, I’m having a blast restoring this car!!! The frame is out to be blasted and powder coated. I’m in the process of going through the rear end and front suspension, in preparation for when I get the frame back.

Thanks again for all the help!
Fred
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

No idea on the shipping, that is why 3 blocks have already gone to the dump along with a few gearboxes and body parts, no one wants to pay shipping. Its a HEAVY block and not in great shape but externally appears to be uncracked but shipping will be a lot.

Sleeving is probably your best bet.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
kabu

Post by kabu »

Fred,

have you been in contact with Mike Barber? He is also located in Atlanta, GA area and has quite a pile of Singer Roadster parts. I don't he treads this forum but I should have his contact information somewhere so give me a message if you need that.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

I think you're referring Paul Barber in Cedartown GA. He has 3 semi-complete cars in need of restoration, and remnants of many more. I think he wants to keep the complete cars together, and is willing to sell them. One of them is a twin carb model. He has a host of other parts, but I've had only moderate success with the specific parts that I have needed. Paul is the first person I contacted when looking for a block, but the only ones he has left are in the complete cars and he's not willing to part out yet another car!

Thanks for help!!!
Fred
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Fred,

Yes, the one in Cedartown, GA. OK, it makes sense that he wants to keep the somewhat comple cars as they are and not sell the engines out of them.

BR/
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer