New member and Brake Job / Front Hub Seal question

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
frogeye
First Name: Boris

New member and Brake Job / Front Hub Seal question

Post by frogeye »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum as of today. I've been the proud owner of a 1953 4ADT for some 2 years now trying to keep up with maintenance some of which appears to have been sort of neglected for many years. I just disassembled the front brakes and removed the master cylinder from the car. 3 out of 4 wheel cylinders where frozen and the rubber parts were deteriorated to black goo. Thanks to Dave Green's post I learned that I can use some Big Healey parts available from Moss. I already had obtained rebuild kits for both the wheel and the master cylinder and re-lined shoes from Kip Motors. Instead of buying new cylinders I've kind of decided to go with a re-sleeve job with Sierra Speciality Automotive.

I could use some advice or help in regards to the front hubs. When removing the front wheel brake components I noticed that the hubs are heavily leaking to the extent that the brake shoes were soaked in wheel bearing grease. It really makes no sense to install new brakes unless I replace the seals. I seem to have difficulties to find a source for these seals. I contacted Kip and they don't stock them. I wrote to Bill Haverly and haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone here know of source for these seals here in the US? From what I know engineers back in the days often picked seals and bearings from available standard parts that were fitted to all kinds of automotive and other applications so I am hoping (praying) that these seals here are interchangeable with other vehicles and not too hard to source.

Also, one of the 4 springs that hold the front brake shoes is damaged and for safety reasons I'm looking to buy a replacement.

Many Thanks for any advice that you can give.

Boris
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: New member and Brake Job / Front Hub Seal question

Post by mikeyr »

Can't help you with the part numbers but when I needed seals a good 20+ years ago, I went to King Bearing and they had the seals on the shelf. That certainly implies they are a standard size used on something else.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

Front seals originally were felt with a retainer. If someone does get a good seal replacement let me know and I will put it in the interchange. as for the wheel cylinder seal kits they are the AH 100-4 and after unit 22,000 something. Someone should have some good used springs for the shoes but I don't
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
frogeye

Post by frogeye »

Thank you gentlemen. I just got a response from Bill and I will order the seals from him. Once I receive the item I will do some investigation regarding interchangeable seals and keep you posted on the outcome. I also noticed that when I jack up the rear end of the car oil will be running out of the front of the differential so I've been given additional opportunity to seal stuff on my car :lol: . I wouldn't be surprised to find a felt seal in there as well.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Look at pictures 7 and 8 on this page, its for a Le Mans rear axle AND I did not get a picture of the front seal but picture 7 shows the axle seals and picture 8 shows the front plate without the seal but after machining for a seal, I replaced all the felt seals in my rear axle, It cost me $65 in machining and I now can put in standard over the shelf available real seals that do not leak. Same thing for the 4AD rear axle in the front, the other 2 seals are already good seals (hard to get though).

http://ayw709.rambour.com/the-rear-axle.html
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
frogeye

Post by frogeye »

Wow, Mike that is very impressive, thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Not sure if I'm prepared to pull the entire rear out of the car at this point. But when looking at the photo where you showed the modified nail for removing all the dirt and crud hidden in the welding area of the axle housing it may be the only way to go.
indian301

Post by indian301 »

If you can get an accurate outside diameter measurement for the sealing surface, where the seal rides (spindle) and an outside diameter measurement for where the seal is installed( brake drum), any good bearing supply company should be able to get you seals and bearings. I do this all of the time because the new parts stores just laugh at me when I ask them for seals for my British cars.

Dave V-6AD
frogeye

Post by frogeye »

Thanks Dave, that's the approach I will take. - Boris