Is it possible to convert rear brakes to Hydraulic?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Pat Leask
First Name: Pat

Is it possible to convert rear brakes to Hydraulic?

Post by Pat Leask »

I’m tossing around the idea of converting the rear brakes to hydraulic, has anyone done this? Yes, I will keep the original equipment as I know this is non standard, and I’m not saying I’m going to do it. I’m just interested in knowing if it is possible and what it entails.

Thanks, Pat
Victoria BC
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Is it possible to convert rear brakes to Hydraulic?

Post by mikeyr »

i don't see why not but I question the need. The rear brakes when properly adjusted (the hard part) will easily lock up the rear wheels. It should be fairly simple, I would look for different backing plates for something that was setup with hydraulic brakes to begin with and modify the backing plates to fit the rear axle. I think that would be easier than trying to modify the backing plates to hydraulic. Then a new master cylinder, I would if I was going to that level of modification go with a dual master to separate the brakes. There are even some single master cylinders that would bolt right in as the "style" was used on other Brit cars at the time, slightly larger bore but they should bolt in with minimal mods, however I still would look into a dual for safety. Last item is just a equalizer valve and those are dime-a-dozen, I would probably get the same model as the master cylinders car that i took it from. Rear brakes I would look at Sprites/Midgets as they are about the same size. Dave Green will know which masters would bolt in if you are staying single cylinder but again I would look at Sprite/Midget dual.

Remember that your front brakes are Austin Healey already from the factory so staying in the family should be easy and help convert. By now its should be obvious i thought about it before :) but I stayed with mechanical rears once I learned to properly adjust them.