engine torque figures

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
mistercmo
First Name: Charles

engine torque figures

Post by mistercmo »

Hi folks
Finally got the parts assembled and have started the engine rebuild, I tried all my manuals and the internet but can't find torque figures for:
Cylinder Head
Main Bearing Caps - Large nuts
Rear main bearin cap- smaller nut
Big end bolts
and any others

Thanks in advance,
Charlie
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: engine torque figures

Post by mikeyr »

http://www.singercars.com/4ax/

very first sentence says "For starters grab this PDF" click on that and then read down to page 2 for all your answers.

Guys...this site has hundreds of pages but that one is obvious, I made it obvious for a reason, why do i have to point it out what seems monthly ? what do I need to do to make it more obvious ?
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Mike,
First of all, let me say that I think that your/our website is amazing. There is such a wealth of information contained in it. Over the years, I am sure that I have clicked on every tab and gleaned every bit of information from it. I am also sure that I would not have been able to do my restoration without it. I am sure that all of the members are very appreciative of the excellent work that you have done in setting up and maintaining it.

But, since you asked......

I clicked on the link above and it quickly took me to the page that you referenced. I was sure that I had seen this page before, but wasn't clear as to how to access it from the home page. I proceeded to the home page and began my search. I would have expected to find it under the Technical/Miscellaneous tab. It was there but requires some digging to get to it. When you click on the Technical Miscelaneous tab, the page that you get has tabs across the top of the page that are inactive. If you go to the middle of the page there is a menu that lists several articles & links, but not one that takes you to the page that you referenced. However, if you click on one of the articles about any of the items you are not seeking information on, it takes you to a page that has active tabs at the top. If you click on the miscelaneous tab there and then "Everything about 4ADs", you get your referenced article.

I am not trying to be being critical! I believe it would be helpful if the page that you referenced were listed at the top of the Technical/Miscelaneous menu. I believe that more people would find it there.

Thanks again for all that you do for NASOC,

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Let me clarify my statement from above.
When I said that the tabs are inactive, what I should have said is that if you click on th miscelaneous tab on that page it brings you right back to the same page instead of showing the menu that gives you "Everything about 4ADs". You have to go to another page and click on miscelaneous to access this menu.

Sorry, for the misstatement.

Mark
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

ok, I will fix that. I know I fixed that a long time ago but i guess I overwrote it some time back.
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mistercmo
First Name: Charles

Post by mistercmo »

my question concerns the 4A motor and the article you referenced is for the 4AD. Are the torque figures the same? I did find a ref on our site to torque figures suggested by Bill Haverly but I couldn't find his article.

So I still need the 4 torque spec.s for my Singer 10 hp engine.

TIA,
Charlie
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

I incorrectly assumed you were talking about 4ADs as that is the most common. I may have those specs and will check and post the answers within a day or 2
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Hi Charlie,

I have a copy of Bill's article here and he mentions that a torque pressure of between 30 - 35 ft/lbs.

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.