Singer on ebay

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
indian301

Singer on ebay

Post by indian301 »

There is a 1950 Singer on ebay. Located in Pennsylvania. Looks very original. Currently at $2800.00

Dave :mrgreen:
indian301

Singer on ebay

Post by indian301 »

Another Singer on ebay. Very high price.
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Re: Singer on ebay

Post by Mark Thompson »

$30,000 with 8 days to go. Vin # 4AD190SW ????
It is amazing that it is a national prize winner with all the non-original equipment and modifications!
Hope the price keeps climbing!

Mark
FORREST
First Name: forrest

Post by FORREST »

THIS WAS THE THE CAR THAT SOLD IN MICHIGAN AT THE R11 COLLECTION AUCTION FOR 20500.00 PLUS FEES. NO TOOLS AND ONE STRANGE NUMBER PLATE. THE CAR SEEMED TO RUN OK BUT DID NOT SEE IT MOVE. THOUGHT IT WAS WELL SOLD AT THAT TIME IF IT SELLS AT THIS PRICE VERY WELL SOLD!!!
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

What I find amazing is that a car could win that award without the club knowing about it.

AND how could it win that award with so much unoriginal stuff on it. Its just a mish-mash of parts, for one thing that is not a valid serial number but that is minor. I really like the color and fender striping BUT its not original and to win those awards you have to be original (or course the judges would not know any better if they even knew what a Singer was).

I really like how they hid the cracks in the body at the bottom of the trunk lid, ingenious way to cover up the standard cracks but shouldn't a show winner not have the cracks to begin with ? The original turn signal switch is in the wrong place but that is ok since it does not work anyway based on the absolutely unoriginal turn signal switch that is connected to the steering column, that really huge ugly rear view mirror on the cowl by the windshield looks big enough to prevent the windshield from folding down. The charging light is wrong which is really odd since the correct light is so cheap and readily available at Moss, the transmission hump, shifter cover is wrong. Is that paint on the rear tire ? and this car won a award with paint on the tires ? No tools and no brass manufacturers plate on the firewall which is also covered with a engine turned piece of metal, carb linkage is wrong and the fuel filter on the side really implies a added on filter because of fuel tank problems especially since there are 2 fuel filters in the engine compartment only, how dirty is that gas tank ?

The wiring looks nicely done but its all wrong. The oval brass plate with the WRONG serial number on it is totally unoriginal, it looks like they copied a pre-war oval plate. Wrong muffler which again is readily available and what is that round thing hanging down next to the muffler. And this is just the "short" list of wrongs.

I am sorry, but to win a award like national first you have to be much closer than that to original...its a VERY NICE car, for maybe $20k but lets not try to pass it off as original, there are MANY more original 4AD's around.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I doubt it won that award in its current condition.
AACA judging of a vehicle is based on two major components: Authenticity and con-
dition. It is critical that the vehicle be 100% authentic in reference to the conditions listed in
the AACA General Policy above. Then, and only then, is the condition of the vehicle consid-
ered. Condition is based on two items: first, the workmanship of the original condition
OR the restoration to that condition and second, the Maintenance of a vehicle.
I can't find a list of previous winners on their website but I would REALLY doubt and question that it ever won a award. It should not have with the unoriginal stuff on it so either its been modified since winning or it never won.

Don't get me wrong, nice car but....
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

The AACA judges cars on authenticity but with Singers unless you have someone there who knows what is correct all they can do is go with period correctness.
Say someone who knows some british cars like MG or AH.
Whos to say in 1997 it was closer to original than now.
Yes I know the ID plate is wrong and should have the big brass plate along with the oval body plate.
A few other oddities on it for sure.
If you really want to research the Senior Award get the number that goes with the award and contact Pat at the AACA(sorry no number handy) She can look up that info.
Nice looking car but priced to high.
My 2 cents.
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible