Oil Filter and new baby

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
StLouisSinger
First Name: Tom

Oil Filter and new baby

Post by StLouisSinger »

I removed the oil filter because I had to replace the starter the other day. Now the filter leaks like crazy. Anyone know where I can get an oil filter and gaskets for my 1952 4AD.

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

Ps We had a baby boy last month his name is Stuart and he and mom are doing great. Another Singer enthusiast is born!
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Oil Filter and new baby

Post by mikeyr »

Congrats on the new enthusiast !!! and to you and Mom.

Before I moved I still had a few NOS filters, I will look and see where they went when we moved, they are not in my new garage I know that but I would not have thrown them away. If I find them this weekend, I will send one to the new Singer guy on the block.

I have been told for years they are no longer available, its a filter from some also getting rare Toyota. I have the info at home, AC-111 or some number like that, don't quote me on the number yet.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
StLouisSinger
First Name: Tom

Post by StLouisSinger »

Thanks Mike.

I wish I had not had to remove the filter. I could not figure out how to get the starter out otherwise.
Having a new filter would be great but more than anything I need the gaskets to get it sealed up tight.
It looks from the manual that there are two gaskets one at the top of the filter and one at the top of the external can.
I can always improvise but thought I would tap the collective knowledge base before I go riggin up something- again.

Tom
BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

The original filter was AC M-11. It is almost made of unobtanium now. I do sell a conversion that works and uses a Sunbeam Alpine cartridge. Contact me if you want one. I don't use a square cut o-ring but I suppose they are availible. I use a round o-ring and they compress fine with no leaks. Also William Rice has made an aluminum adapter block to accept a spin on oil filter.
BRG
alpdavegre@msn.com
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi,

Here is a link to a picture of my solution for the replacement of the original M11 cartridge.

http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/index.php ... &Itemid=61

The filter cartridge is a modern one for some tractor models and it is lower that the original cartridge. I have turned two aluminum pieces and when you put them in both ends of the new cartridge the combination equals the combination of the M11 cartridge with the original sheet metal end plates.

As mentioned earlier, the original square rubber gasket for the filter casing can be replaced by a suitable dimension O-ring.

BR/
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Congratulations on the new baby!

Regarding the oil filter cartridge, I've been using Wix filter #51328 and Car Quest filter #85328 for the past seven years. They are readily available and come with the square cut O-ring as well.

By the way, if anybody has done one of the conversions that are lsited above and has an extra oil filter canister (outer can), I would be interested in buying it. I am missing one. I also need the bolt that secures it to the housing.

Best Regards,
Mark Thompson
1952 4AD & 1953 4ADT under restoration
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I like Kabu's solution, an hour or so on the lathe and those things would work great.

Mark, I would closely check the length of the filter since there were other filters that were "close" but not quite right. I used the close one for a good lot of miles but DaveG told me to stop and only use the right length filters.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Mike,
You are correct. I actually have an AC M11 element. It measures 4-15/16" between sealing surfaces. The filters that I recommended measure 4-3/4" between sealing surfaces. The difference is 3/16 inch. I forgot that I had dropped a washer on top of the spring at the bottom of the housing to compensate for this. This is a simple remedy that allows us to use elements that are readily available and economical. I have driven my car 13,000 miles in the past five years using these elements and have had no problems.

Mark Thompson