54 roadster intake/ exhaust manifold

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
tomr
First Name: tom

54 roadster intake/ exhaust manifold

Post by tomr »

I am stripping down my engine for removal/ rebuild. After removing all the studs there is one bolt head in the center of the exhaust part of manifold.Does this "bolt " need to be removed for removal of intake /exhaust manifold. Tom R.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 54 roadster intake/ exhaust manifold

Post by mikeyr »

I will have to go look but I think YES
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Post by bitsobrits »

Yes, definitely. It can be a bear to remove if the head is very corroded. If so you can drill the head off, and once the manifold is removed the remnant should be easy to remove with mole grips.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
tomr

Post by tomr »

Thanks for the information,I will be working on tear down this weekend. I now know that I will have to replace crankshaft, so if there are any known available on this side of the Atlantic, that would be helpfull info.Tom R. ps Mike , one of my other toys is a BMW R1200 CLC.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

The crank is pretty tough on a 4AD are you sure you need a new one ? I don't think I have any left.

Wifey and I went into the store to buy a R1200RT, I even had the color picked out and had done months of research on the R1200RT, after the test ride with NO research on the K1300GT we drove out with the K, loving it.
ooh shiny
ooh shiny
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
William Howerth
First Name: William

Post by William Howerth »

On the subject of the crank shaft. I work with a company here in the Detroit area call Crankshaft Craftsman, it's all they do. They have done a number of my cranks and can fix anything for a price. If the journals are worn beyond a serviceable limit they can be welded up and reground. About the only thing they can't fix is a crank that is broke in two which I doubt yours is. Singers barely make enought horsepower to go down the road let alone break anything
tomr

Post by tomr »

I will inquire about the suggestion in Detroit, but the initial reaction from the crank guy for my engine rebuilder was to find a replacement. I am going to drop off the engine in the next few days,so maybe there will be a change of opinion once it is torn down.Tomr
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

now now, I have several broken crankshafts and the holes in 2 blocks to prove the cranks went through them...of course we are talking about the pre-war Le Mans but obviously they made the power to break the cranks...uh uh sure they did.

I have never seen a 4AD crank that could not be fixed, I too had journals welded back up to spec, not the ideal way but its reliable and works.
tomr

Post by tomr »

I contacted the suggested repair source in Detroit and their answer was the same as my local crank guy. The break at the neck, with the internal threads seems to be the problem. I will keep trying but a new crank seems to be the direction.Tom
William Howerth
First Name: William

Post by William Howerth »

I just picked up three engine blocks and two crankshafts. Contact me at bicsibill@yahoo.com if you would like to buy a crank. Price is $150 plus shipping