Singer headlights

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
GeneA

Singer headlights

Post by GeneA »

My 1949 Roadster has sealed beam headlights. I like the look of the non-sealed type that have a bulb and a flat lense.

Anyone know the pros or cons of trying to switch? Are the bulb-type headlights much dimmer than the sealed-beam type?

Anyone know Lucas part numbers for the conversion or companies that might sell the parts?

Thanks, Gene
Gene Abbondelo
1949 Roadster
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Do you mean lights like the Lucas tripods ? Its very easy to change to them, just costs money, Moss has the tripods. Other styles with the flat glass I have not seen in stores but I have seen on ebay.

I can't help with the sealed beam vs. separate bulb light output, I like my tripods.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
GeneA

Singer headlights ; clear and yellow

Post by GeneA »

I looked at the Moss page; gosh those tripod style lights are expensive! This isn't the style I was thinking of, it would'nt have the three lines in it, but unfortunately I'm not sure what they would look like. Paul Bouchard's car I think has what I want, but his bulge out a bit like bug eyes (his headlights, that is); what I want would be flat. Anyone know what I would look for on Ebay or another source.?

On the yellow headlights; I have Maryland antique plates and I think they pretty much leave you alone, but I'm not sure this type of light provides enough brightness for night driving. Anyone?
Gene Abbondelo
1949 Roadster
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Gene,

The headlamps on my car are Lucas LD 140's (8") with Cat's Eye lenses. As with many things Singer, cars were built with the parts on hand. Some cars could have had different equpment because the regular supply was not available.

You are right about the other thing... they are expensive! I managed to pick these ones up in the UK for a fair price, but they are not true Lucas. The original pair on my car were badly dinged and cracked in the usual places (where the bonnet sides can bang into them). I managed to get a pair of 7" and put sealed beams in them. the sealed beams are DEFINATELY briter than the bulbs, and you can get them at a local parts supplier. The bulbs give the car an older look which, for an older car, is fine with me.

I have seen the 8" sold on eBay for $400 (real US dollars + shipping). A 7" conversiopn could be the least expensive (and more readilly available) way to go.
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Singer headlights ; clear and yellow

Post by mikeyr »

GeneA wrote:On the yellow headlights; I have Maryland antique plates and I think they pretty much leave you alone, but I'm not sure this type of light provides enough brightness for night driving. Anyone?
They are fine, it was debated for decades in Europe as to which was better, studies went either way depeding on how you read the results, the white lights won with the European community.

I had them on my FIAT here in S. Calif for about 6 to 8 years before I finally had to remove them, they were fine.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Michael

Bulb type headlamps

Post by Michael »

can't one put higher wattage and halagon bulbs in the olde shells? I've seen them in a wide range of wattagesup to 100watts per lamp! (Poor dynamo)
You could get the flat headlamps that are sold for the 58+/- Jags. they have a J in the centre but you could either unstick it or paint a S on it
cheers;
Michael
4AD's