V-6 Singer 4 AD

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
indian301

V-6 Singer 4 AD

Post by indian301 »

I thought I would be driving my car by now, but a few minor set backs had to be resolved. I installed an MG Midget steering rack.The first time I drove the car was scary. It would not turn sharp enough. Back to the drawing board. I had to modify the the steering arms a second time. The next drive was much better and with a front end alignment everything should be perfect. Up to this point I have done everything on my car. A friend offered to make my dash board. So I took him up on his offer. I figured I had plenty of other things to finish. I sent him the template in October and it just arrived. I can now finish the interior, fine tune a few things, and start driving it. It has been around the block a few times and it feels great. I am now shooting for May 1st. I am really looking forward to getting it out on a proper drive.

Dave :D
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: V-6 Singer 4 AD

Post by mikeyr »

What work did you do to the frame to handle the torque of the V6 ? How did that V6 fit in there ?
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
indian301

Post by indian301 »

Mike,

This car was cut up before I got it and someone had already removed the X bracing. I plated the frame its entire length. In essence it is boxed end to end. I also had to modify the rear crossmember to clear the driveshaft, so I added diagonal braces and a removable transmission crossmember. I also made a frame for the new gas tank and battery; both are in the trunk now. I needed a larger fuel tank because the fuel injection requires an in tank fuel pump assembly. Up front I had to notch the frame to fit the rack and pinion steering. The V-6 fit very well. I just made motor mounts and welded them to the frame. I have tried 3 or 4 times to post pictures and can not do it. I will send them to your regular email address. Maybe you can post them.

Dave
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

send me the pics and I will post them.

I will also look to see if I can find the pics of your car that I took about 10 years in Texas before the body was on (Didnt know it was the same car), I may have thrown them away however.
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Amazing but true! A v-6 in a 4AD... perhaps it should be a 6AD??

That is a lot of engine!
100_0320_resize.jpg
A tight squeeze... but it fits.
100_0358_resize.jpg
If it were not for the 5-lug wheels, it would be hard to tell this from a stock 4AD from the outside...
100_0409_resize.jpg
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
indian301

Post by indian301 »

My insurance papers arrived today so off I went to the motor vehicle office. My car is officially on the road. I drove it about 50 miles and it ran flawlessly. It is a blast to drive. Lots of power and real brakes. I can't wait to drive it some more this weekend. I don't care how much gasoline is. I have waited two years to drive it.

Dave :mrgreen:
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Congrats !

And you picked a great weekend to finish it, its warming up around here so most likely there also.
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Dave,

I would like to echo Mike's sentiments.

Heck, if you're having fun driving this weekend and lose track of time... why not drop by my place and say "hi"! I am just west of Montreal. Once you hit Buffalo, go around lake Ontario and keep heading east for about 600 miles or so. If you leave by Saturday morning you should get here by Monday afternoon... earlier if you do not stop to sleep.

Enjoy the car and let us all know how things go.

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
indian301

Post by indian301 »

Paul,

Be careful what you wish for. A friend from Australia once invited me to stop by if I was ever in the area. Well, three years ago I took him up on his offer and stayed for a week. LOL

BRG
First Name: Dave

Post by BRG »

Dave,

All I can say is GREAT. Time to give that puppy a break'in run. See you here inTucson some time. Who knows . I think we need a new catagory like V-6AD???
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Post by bitsobrits »

Dave,

what did you use for front brakes on your car?

Steve
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
indian301

Post by indian301 »

Steve,

I used Mustang II front spindles and brakes. You will need to take the spindles to a machine shop. The machinist has to bore through the ball joint holes to allow for bushings to be used on the Singer kingpins. This is a very involved operation. If things are not set up correctly it will affect the camber and castor settings. You will also have to fabricate the steerings arms. I spent a lot of time getting everthing to fit and work properly. I have almost 1,000 miles on the car and it is a pleasure to drive. If I had a stock car I would make adapters for the bearings in the brake rotors to use the stock Singer spindles and steering linkage. Then fabricate caliper mounts.
v6 4ad
First Name: Andy

Post by v6 4ad »

I too have a V6 in a 4 AD. It is a 3.8 liter Buick v6. I have put wire wheels on mine. I have questions about the steering. I read that you have a MG rack & pinion steering? How did you get from the steering wheel to the rack? I still have the original Singer steering on mine. The V6 is wider than the original 4 cyl. Thanks ANDY
indian301

Post by indian301 »

Hi Andy,

My Singer has a steering column from a different car. It looks to be from a Triumph. It exits throught the firewall into the engine compartment about 8 inches; angled towards the fender. A universal joint connects it to a straight shaft to the rack and pinion. I added a pillow block(bearing) for support. Your 3.8 Buick v-6 is wider than my 2.8 Chevy v-6 engine. If your steering linkage is in good condition I would cut the steering column 4-6 inches above the steering box, add a universal joint connected to a shaft angled towards the fender. Add another universal joint and connect it to the shortened column. A pillow block or some kind of support will be necessary. Another option is to use a flexible steering shaft. Summit Racing sells these. It is going to be trial and error what works best. If you want to call me and discuss it, here is my number 928-692-5817 Mountain time AZ

tinkerstoys
First Name: glinn

Post by tinkerstoys »

what wheel pattern fits the 4ad in after market or production stock