Nine Roadster Wanderlust

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Terry and Paul,

Pictures ! we want pictures of the rebuild ! I do NOT want to hijaack this thread, so below is just a example !!!
Attachments
This won't help you Terry, since it is a 34 Le Mans steering gear but see you can enter pictures of your steering gear rebuild, this is what my gear looked like.
This won't help you Terry, since it is a 34 Le Mans steering gear but see you can enter pictures of your steering gear rebuild, this is what my gear looked like.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Ok, I will try to get a photo or two...

Here goes!

PHOTO 1:

[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\1a.jpg
[/img]
[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\1b.jpg
[/img]

Shows the two shafts. The lower one has definate signs of wear. I added the graphic to indicate (roughly) the location of the bushings. Since this area is a tough one to lubricate, and since there is a fair amount of strain there is a certain amount of wear!

The bushings in the two boxes were different. The top bushings (shown in photo 2) ) must be replacements and were removed from the box with the worn shaft.

A worn shaft (or bushings) here can be part of the problem with loose steering.

PHOTO 2:

[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\2a.jpg
[/img]
[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\2b.jpg
[/img]

The bushes. Removing these darn things was a pain in the darn. I used a propane torch to heat up the surrounding area and with a brass punch and a light touch, managed to get them out. There was some distortion in the bearing from the beating, but I carefully filed and sanded that small area smooth.

NOTE - when removing the inner bushing, be sure to pop out the pin (circled) that holds it in position.

The groove in the lower set of bushes allows for the LIQUID lubricant to flow from the inner box area to the outer bushing. The hole location on the inner bushing is important that it

a) aligns the cut-out at the top of the bushing with the tube in the box that allows for the steering nut (see photo 4) to pass through.

b) it ensures that the openings that allow lubricant to flow to the outer bushing are at the bottom of the box.

PHOTO 3:

[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\3a.jpg
[/img]
[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\3b.jpg
[/img]

the infamous outer oil seal!! Thanks to Gene A, I now have a part number for a new one. Unfortunately I did not aquire one for the photo shoot, but after Christmas I will be sure to visit my local bearing and seal distruibutor.

The "pings" are obviously there to keep the retaining washer in place. The seal itself was a simple compressed cork material. The replacement one will be nice to see!

I tapped back the ping and pried off the washer gently with a flat headed screw driver. Some cleaning (aka rounding off) of this area will be necessary before the new seal goes in.

PHOTO 4:

[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\4a.jpg
[/img]
[img]G:\DATA - A\Singer\Roadster\Roadster Photos\A - Steering\4b.jpg
[/img]

The nut.

The pointer is pointing (what it does best - besides scratching up everything else) to the little steel race in the nut. I still have to examine the one that is currently installed in my car since I do not remember seeing one! If it is indeed missing, that would say a LOT to my wobbly steering! (to say the least).

Also, when putting everything back together, be sure to put the "flat" side of thenut (shown by the arrows) down. This cut-out provides the necessary clearance for the shaft.

The story will continue....

So there. I hope that the photos worked out OK!

Paul

PS - Ok, I tried to add the photos as part of the text... NO LUCK.

So, I will attach them to this post.

Ok, Try #2... a max of 3 attachments per post - 8 photos to display = 3 posts.
Attachments
PHOTO 2 (part 1)
PHOTO 2 (part 1)
PHOTO 1 (part 2)
PHOTO 1 (part 2)
PHOTO 1 (part 1)
PHOTO 1 (part 1)
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
Paul Bouchard

PART 2 of PHOTOS

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Part 2
Attachments
PHOTO 3 (part 2)
PHOTO 3 (part 2)
PHOTO 3 (part 1)
PHOTO 3 (part 1)
PHOTO 2 (part 2)
PHOTO 2 (part 2)
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon

Just enjoying the ride.
Paul Bouchard

Part 3

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Part 3
Attachments
PHOTO 4 (part 2)
PHOTO 4 (part 2)
PHOTO 4 (part 1)
PHOTO 4 (part 1)
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon

Just enjoying the ride.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

See ? ! ? isn't that a much better post with LOTS more information :)

I had not thought of the 3 attachment limit per post, I can change that. It is there to prevent people from burning up space with unnecassary (ok, I don't know how to spell :) ) pictures but I will raise the limit to something higher.

I don't know how to fix the pictures not being within the text, that is one I have to look into but after the text worked well. You can put text within the picture box, like I did at the very top of this page to help out

Thank You Paul
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Paul Bouchard

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Serve to live - live to serve.

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon

Just enjoying the ride.
GeneA

photo attachments from Paul

Post by GeneA »

Paul: How do I access the photos you sent?

Gene Abbondelo
Gene Abbondelo
1949 Roadster
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Gene,

You need to log in to see the pictures, if you are not logged in you will only see the image tags. At the very top in the middle of the page are the commands FAQ, Search......Profile....and finally the Log In button. Type in your username and password and you should see the pictures.

Note if it says already says "Log Out [GeneA]" then you are already logged in and something else is wrong. Let me know in that case so I can figure out it might be.

Mike
GeneA

Seeing photos

Post by GeneA »

Mike:
You're right, I had forgotten to log on. Now I can see Paul's photos in addition to snowflakes :)
Thanks for the help,
Gene
Gene Abbondelo
1949 Roadster