Looking for parts '54 4AD

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
tufsinger
First Name: Thomas

Looking for parts '54 4AD

Post by tufsinger »

All,

Took the '54 to my local car expert and he’s given me a list that may be a challenge. Hoping folks can provide suggestions for replacement parts or sourcing original/compatible parts.

List is as follows:

• Driveshaft, whole assembly – current is bent and rubbing against the bottom of the body. We can take it to a shop to straighten but not recommended if a replacement can be procured.

• Wheel cylinders and shoes for front brakes (both sides)

• Wheel bearing and seals for front (both sides)

• Rear brake shoes
• Proper or compatible brake fluid.

Any guidance or suggestion of compatible replacement parts is appreciated.

Many thanks

-Thomas
indian301

Re: Looking for parts '54 4AD

Post by indian301 »

Any competent driveline shop can retube your driveshaft if you can't find a good used one.

Dave
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Post by bitsobrits »

Thomas,

These cars are fairly rare so finding a driveshaft assembly will be difficult. Are you sure the shaft is bent? It's not uncommon for the shaft to rub the floor pan if the car is loaded down or the rear springs have sagged. A bent driveshaft will cause horrific vibration at even moderate speed so that would be a clue there.

I believe the front brake cylinders are the same as Austin-Healey 100. Perhaps someone else can verify. I was able to purchase mine new from Moss Motors. When I did my brakes a few years ago I was unable to find new shoes so had mine relined. Was not expensive at all.

Sorry but I don't recall where I sourced the front wheel bearings.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Post by bitsobrits »

Forgot to mention, I just use DOT 4 brake fluid from NAPA with no issues. Modern seals are pretty forgiving if running basic DOT 3 or 4 fluid.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
tufsinger
First Name: Thomas

Post by tufsinger »

All,

Thanks for the responses. I'll check on the shaft. My original suspicion was a suspension issue. Also will check on the brake rebuild v austin's.

Will let you know what happens.

-Thomas
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

front wheel cylinders are indeed Austin 100, any decent auto parts store can get them and if they specialize in British cars, they probably have them on the shelf.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT