'53 4AD front shocks

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Richard

'53 4AD front shocks

Post by Richard »

I need to replace them. Mike R. thinks that they are replaceable with a Chevy (possibly Camarro) shock, but he can't locate the part #. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts. Thank you.
I am the 3rd owner of a '53 4AD and could use some guidance on various issues in restoring the vehicle.
George Cohan

Post by George Cohan »

I seem to remember that the front shocks on an SM1500 were the
same as on a 1954 Buick Century. You should check dimensions
before buying.
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

If you are still looking for shocks, Shockfinders in Silverthorne, CO were able to find shock absorbers and custom made shock links for my 4AD. They can be reached at (970) 513-8283. They will need the dimensions on your shocks.

Good Luck, Mark Thompson
BRG
First Name: Dave

Front Shocks

Post by BRG »

Richard & all,

Front shocks from a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda will work. I would see if the lighter 6 cylinder engined car can be gotten.
BRG :D
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
CarMan35

Post by CarMan35 »

The reference to the '70 Barracuda shock is not good. I bought a pair and discovered that the collapsed length was the same length as the extended original shock. In other words, you can install a Cuda shock, but the front end will have no suspension travel when placed on its wheels.

I recently did a search by size specifications, and found that the KYB shock #1924063 sold by CarQuest for use on a Nissan pickup is virtually identical to the Singer shock. I have installed a pair on my Roadster, and the only change was to use a metric cross bolt at the bottom, for a tighter fit. I have not yet put the car on the ground, so cannot verify any suitability, except to say that it fits and has the proper range of motion. I will be racing my car, so any higher stiffness from the heavier vehicle specification will be a plus. This may not be true for sgtreet use, but a Buick or Cadillac shock can only be at least as stiff.
John Slusar
CarMan35

Post by CarMan35 »

The reference to the '70 Barracuda shock is not good. I bought a pair and discovered that the collapsed length was the same length as the extended original shock. In other words, you can install a Cuda shock, but the front end will have no suspension travel when placed on its wheels.

I recently did a search by size specifications, and found that the KYB shock #1924063 sold by CarQuest for use on a Nissan pickup is virtually identical to the Singer shock. I have installed a pair on my Roadster, and the only change was to use a metric cross bolt at the bottom, for a tighter fit. I have not yet put the car on the ground, so cannot verify any suitability, except to say that it fits and has the proper range of motion. I will be racing my car, so any higher stiffness from the heavier vehicle specification will be a plus. This may not be true for sgtreet use, but a Buick or Cadillac shock can only be at least as stiff.
John Slusar
BRG

1953 4AD Shocks

Post by BRG »

John,

Thanks for the research. I will modify the interchange list. This is what I need to hear and what helps all Singer owners. So if any of you have this will fit, please let me know and I will post it. :D :D :D :D
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
CarMan35

Post by CarMan35 »

Thanks, Dave, but as I mentioned, this is untested except for fit. I felt it was a good idea to stop others from buying the Cuda shocks, but the jury is still out on the Nissan shock's suitability for the street. You might want to remove the Cuda from the listing. but wait until someone actually drives a Singer with the Nissan shocks, just to be sure. We have had snow every day for the past 3 weeks and the salt is piled high, and my engine is in a million pieces, so I am months away from a test drive.
John Slusar
BRG

1953 4AD ft. Shocks

Post by BRG »

John,

Will do but the weight difference between the cars should not be to far off for the shocks dampening action. :D :D
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
BillBrooks

Re: '53 4AD front shocks

Post by BillBrooks »

Front Shocks, Singer 4AD

I’ve found that NAPA #RR 94037 ($22.19 each) (also Gabriel # 81478) will fit with a little modification: The 7/16” lower Singer OEM cross bolt should be replaced with a 12mm bolt to better fit the NAPA shock. This will require slight modification of the Singer brackets that attaches to the bottom ends of the shocks. Each side of each bracket has a different size hole. One is 7/16” clearance for the original bolt (which will need enlarging slightly with a file for the 12mm bolt) and the other is about 0.565” for a spigot that was on one side of the original shock (on the end of the steel bushing inside the rubber bushing). The replacement NAPA shocks don’t have a spigot. A bushing can be made from a piece of ¼” IPS schedule 40 pipe (I’m using a piece from a 4” long threaded nipple from a hardware store) to reduce the ID of this hole to keep the new 12mm bolts centered in the larger holes. The OD of the pipe fits the bracket holes OK. The pipe ID will need to be enlarged to fit the 12mm bolt. The OD of the 12mm bolt is actually 11.8mm or 0.465” so using a 15/32” drill (0.469”) will suit. (Or a 12mm drill, if available, which would be 0.472”)

An easy job if you have a metal lathe: Chuck-up the threaded ¼” IPS nipple, cut off the threaded section, drill out or bore out the ID about 1” deep, cut off two rings (bushings) to suit the thickness of the original brackets. Place one ring on each 12mm bolt right up to the heads. These rings will keep the bolts centered in the larger bracket holes. Use either self locking nuts or plain nuts with Loctite on the new 12mm bolts.

Other options are to just use the original 7/16” bolts (which will be sloppy fits inside the new shock bushings and the larger bracket holes) and say, “Close enough”. Or, fabricating new bracket parts, or welding-up the larger holes and redrilling (good luck with getting the “new holes” properly located on the same axis as the opposing smaller holes). I’ve also considered machining shoulders under the heads of the new 12mm bolts. I think the bushing route is the easiest for me.

This replacement shock fits many Nissan (Datsun) pickups from 1969 to 1997, Isuzu pickups 1981-95, and Chevy LUV pickups 1981-82. (The 1971 Datsun 521 pickup had a 1600cc engine with an aluminum head for weight compaison purposes.)This application info is found on the Gabriel shock web site under Gabriel # 81478. The Gabriel number crosses to the NAPA number on the http://www.napaonline.com/ web site. (You have to register by opening an account and signing-in in order to search by non-NAPA part number. There is no charge for registering.) The Gabriel web site is http://www.gabriel.com/ . Click on the Application Guide under E-Catalogs and plug in the Gabriel PN to see a list of all the vehicles that the shock fits. Looking up the shock on the NAPA web site will give the extended and compressed lengths as well as stroke/travel, bolt size and top stem size. The lengths are measured from the center of the bottom cross bolthole to the top of the dust cap where the top steel washer will seat.

Bill Brooks
indian301

Post by indian301 »

I used Gabriel # G63902 on my 1952 4 AD. They fit perfectly. If you want to use the original lower bolts, you can press the old metal bushings out of the old shocks and install them in the new shocks. Or you can buy metric bolts that fit.

Dave Singer V-6AD :mrgreen:
BillBrooks

Post by BillBrooks »

To Indian301: I see that the Gabriel G63902 you used is two steps up from the 81478 on the same Gabriel application chart. However, both Gabriel #'s cross to the same NAPA # RR 94037 . That's interesting...
What option did you do use for the bottom bolts when you installed them? I was thinking about changing the sleeve as you suggested. I also bought the 12mm bolts and nuts when I bot the shocks. Bill
indian301

Post by indian301 »

Bill,

I pressed the old sleeves out and used them and the old bolts in the new shocks.

Dave V-6 AD :mrgreen:
jkdelphi
First Name: Kenneth

Post by jkdelphi »

Dave, et. al.,
I am experiencing a very disappointing attempt to place the Gabriel 63902 shocks on my 1953 4ADT. The upper rod above the upper cylinder cap is 2.5 inches too long for the top mounting bracket to be installed. How is your '53 4AD different, I am wondering? This is particularly disappointing in that some years ago I was told by a Singer owners club member to use the Barracuda shocks - which I did and then I read this series in which the Barracuda shocks were dissed and here I am about to put the Barracudas back on. I realize that variations in these cars lead to a lot of trial and error, but this seems like a not-even-close reference. So now I have one Gabriel shock that cannot be returned and I am at a loss as to which to pursue next. Any solutions out there?
Ken
indian301

Post by indian301 »

Ken,

My car is a 1952 4AD. The shocks fit perfectly on my car. I have driven over 750 miles and they work fine. I do not know what the difference could be between your car and mine. If you read in the previous replies above John is also using the same shock on his car. If you can find a patient parts guy. He can use the dimensions from your old shock to match up to a current shock. If the Barracuda shocks work, use them.

Dave Singer V-6AD :mrgreen: