The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
klaus
First Name: klaus

4ad stering

Post by klaus »

hi guys,
my first question in this forum.

i am just now working on a 4ad from 52.
the issue i have is the steeringbox. it is "knocking" when i turn the steerig wheel claerly felt it in my hands.
i adjusted the adjusting screw, both hard and soft.
finally i found the "sweet spot" and lock the nut.
nex day the steering is VERY hard.
gradually taking the tension off the adjuster nut, found the "sweet spot" again and locks down.

BUT after turning the steering wheel to the extreeme left or right, the knocking starts again OR the steering gets very hard.

hate that !!

the steering is still in the car, (import from US to Denmark, only 25000 miles)
i have had the bottom ballbearing on the steering column taken of. it is fine.
after removing the topcover of the steering house i can see the sector drive with the peg (on ballbearing) that follow the wormdrive.
seen from above it is turning freely when someone turn the steering wheel.
no visible damage to the wormdrive inspected with a small dentist mirror.

any ideas from someone?
please HELP

klaus lundsgaard
denmark
klaus

Re: 4ad stering

Post by klaus »

Hallo !!
no ideas at all ??
i am still struggling with no result.
klaus
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Klaus,

Unfortunately I am not able to give you any clear reason why you might be experiencing this kind of a problem. Couple of ideas that you should maybe check. Have you checked the condition and sufficient play of the steering box screw end bearings (part 33 in this exploded view http://singercars.com/4ax/pten.html )?

Also this article may be helpful on checking the condition of the steering box, I think it requires removing the box from the car though.
http://singercars.com/4ax/pten.html

Best Regards,
Pekka
Helsinki, Finland
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
klaus

Post by klaus »

hi guys,
i finally got the steering column out of the steering tube, the steering house is still in the car.
i pulled the steeringrod off the sector axle, very diffycult i had to file a puller down to get it into the very cramped room in engine compartment.
i could now withdraw the axle with the wormdrive foreward and out, after some cutting in the sheet metal under the "cowl" part between the front fenders.
i found a peg repair set in UK by Steering Services Dorking, Surrey phone 01306-640483.
he explains the damage is due to excessive play between peg and worm.
see att photo

i also found the right wheel cylinders and repair set for master cylinder by Classicbarkeandelectric8 on ebay uk
ATTENTION when you order brake parts for rour SM 1500 roadster make shure to order for SINGER NINE ROADSTER POSTWAR
or they send parts for a SM 1500 saloon, wich is totally different.

i got the steering parts today and are mounting to morrow.
it might be a tough job as the upper ballbearing on the shaft consist of one bearing race and 14 single balls. i have tested with contact glue, it works. after assembling i can dissolve the glue with accetone. but first i try with stiff / cold grease. hoe that works.

klaus
Attachments
DSCF8117.JPG
DSCF8115.JPG