Metalastik motor mount

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
DGreen
First Name: D'Arcy

Metalastik motor mount

Post by DGreen »

Does anyone know of a supplier for a newly manufactured metalastik (sp?) motor mount for a 4AD? These seem like something that you really want keep an eye on and definitely have a spare one around. The one on my car failed, allowing the front of the engine too much lateral movement, ultimately damaging the solder around the radiator inlet, causing it to leak. I can't imagine what sort of mayhem would have occurred if the car were in an accident, or was used for more spirited driving. I was lucky enough to have a spare one (NOS) that I've put on, but I would like another one "just in case". I don't really trust ancient rubber or ancient bonding agents used to create the part possibly 60+ years ago. I guess I could try rebounding the failed part but that seems dubious. Anyone else experienced this?

Alternatively, has anyone here gotten creative and come up with a better design for the mount? I think something that links the upper and lower metal together, like a closed box, rombus, or oval shape, would be better. You would still need the rubber in the centre, but something like a closed oval shape would not allow for a lot of lateral movement and it would keep the motor in the car, even if the bond between rubber and metal failed, in the event of a collision or, god forbid, a roll over.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Metalastik motor mount

Post by mikeyr »

in the old days some people would attach a link from a chain to the bolts so if it let go it could not go far. Depending the thickness of the chain, you only needed 2 or 3 links.

This was YEARS ago, but I reattached mine with contact cement and it lasted years before letting go again, that second time I took it in to a shop who used a new chunk of rubber and heat bonded it to the upper/lower plates. It seemed to last about as long as the contact cement fix.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
DGreen
First Name: D'Arcy

Re: Metalastik motor mount

Post by DGreen »

Thanks for the information, Mike.

In my old parts I also have one that was partially repaired by drilling and countersinking holes in the bottom plate and putting screws as pegs up into the rubber, presumably to to stop lateral movement, should the bond break, which it did. I have at least four failed motor mounts and, of those, I think it was always the bottom bond that failed.

I was thinking that a pair of U-shaped (well C-shaped, actually) metal clips placed so that the apex butted against the rubber to keep it in place, while being held in place by the regular mounting bolts on the top and bootom plates could do the trick. They would allow for up and down and side to side vibration, while limiting movement to a few millimetres in any direction.

D'Arcy