Wiper Motor Wiring and Shift Knob

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Wiper Motor Wiring and Shift Knob

Post by fly4ad »

Hello all,
As I enter the final stages of the restoration of my 52 4AD, one detail that was completely missing from my car was the wiring to the wiper motor. What does this wire look like? Is it two wires, or one wire with the ground running through the windshield frame. Also, what do the wire clips look like that hold the wire to the windshield frame? Any info, pictures, or source for these items would be very helpful.
I am also looking for an OEM shift knob, or at least a photo and enough information to make one.
Thanks again,
Fred
DGreen
First Name: D'Arcy

Re: Wiper Motor Wiring and Shift Knob

Post by DGreen »

Hi Fred,

The wiring for the wiper motor on my car has a grey plastic covering and is somewhat flat. I assume it's two wires in the sheath. The clips are very simple flat metal lips with a hump at one end for the wiring to pass under. I've attached a photo, but I'm not sure how clear it is. As for the shifter knob, the owner's manual shows a flattened knob like in an old American truck, but my car has a simple glossy black ball. I've also photographed a Bakelite knob that came in a bunch of Singer parts that I have, although I don't know if it's original (it doesn't appear to thread onto the shifter properly).

D'Arcy
DGreen
First Name: D'Arcy

Post by DGreen »

I'm having difficulty with the uploads. Hopefully this worked.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Post by fly4ad »

Thanks D'Arcy, this helps a bunch! You're right on the shift knob, the drawings seem to show a black "tractor like" shift knob. That may have been the first upgrade many made back in the day, replacing it with a nice wooden knob.
Thanks for the help!
Fred