Replacing the Door Skins on a 4 AD

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
indian301

Replacing the Door Skins on a 4 AD

Post by indian301 »

I just finished reskinning the doors on my 4 AD. The previous owner decided that fiberglass would be easier to work with than the aluiminum. I started by stripping all of the fiberglass off the doors. I then made a template of each door. Very important for reassembly! I removed all of the metal edging, disassembled and replaced the rotted wood. I installed wooden blocks in the corners for extra strength and glued everything back together. Reinstall the metal strips and make a wooden pattern of the door. This pattern will be used to hammer the metal around the edges of the door.

The material I used is 3003 H-14 Aluminum .040 thick. It is very easy to work with. $85.00 for a 4ftx 8ft sheet. The aluminum needs to be anealed so it will bend over the top of the door. A friend showed me how to heat the metal. My friend's trick is to coat the metal with a thin coat of motor oil. Then evenly heat the area, when the oil turns brown, then disappears it is ready. A note- if when you are hammering the metal and it feels that it is stiffening up you can reaneal the metal again. Professional welders use a stick that melts at a certain temperature.

The next step is to make a paper pattern of the door. This pattern needs to take in to account all of the curves and the bends of the doors. You can always cut the metal shorter. Next cut the metal to size. Clamp the metal between the the door and the wooden pattern. Be gentle on the clamping. Aluminum dents easily. Be sure to line all of the straight edges up as close as possible. Use lots of clamps. You don't want the metal to move around once you start hammering. I started along one edge with a hammer and dolly. Trim the metal sparingly, you can always cut more off. Continue on to the next edge. When you are finished the three edges it is time to move on to the top. Take your time, the curve of the door is sharp and the metal has to bend a long way. Keep hammering slowly until you get the metal over the edge of the door. Drilll small holes and nail the metal to the door. Unclamp the door. Now hammer and dolly all of the edges of the door. Now except for some minor filing you sre ready to sand and prep the doors for primer, body filler, etc.

Dave