Engine torque reaction bracket

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
DGreen
First Name: D'Arcy

Engine torque reaction bracket

Post by DGreen »

Does anyone have a photo of an engine and gearbox on the chassis that shows what the "engine torque reaction" bracket looks like and how functions? I have a strong suspicion that mine is missing entirely. I'm noticing that my engine rocks back and forth quite a lot, particularly when cranking it over to start. The car has been sitting for a couple of years and I had forgotten that this was a concern when I parked it.

Thanks,
D'Arcy
DGreen

Re: Engine torque reaction bracket

Post by DGreen »

Forget that last request. I see the torque reaction bracket, but I'm still perplexed as to why the engine is rocking around so much. I'll check the connection between the large arched motor mount and the water pump. I suppose it could just be wildly out of tune, but it still starts and runs. I can't wait to start driving it again.

D'Arcy
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Your front motor mount isn't broken is it? These are bad about the rubber separating from the metal.

Regards,
Mark Thompson
DGreen

Post by DGreen »

Thanks Mark,

I'll have a better look at the front motor mount tomorrow.

D'Arcy
LBCNut
First Name: Pablo

Post by LBCNut »

Does anyone have a picture of the engine torque reaction assembly? I'm wondering if I'm missing any rubber buffers or such. Thanks.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

here is one on the website, not a good picture but it shows it in place. Let me see if I have anything better to take a picture of.

http://gallery.singercars.com/index.php ... CT0038-033

I also found one half of the bracket, guessing the other half was still bolted to the frames when I took them to the dump many years ago (along with good blocks that no one wanted to pay shipping). I did check my remaining blocks and they didn't have the bracket bolted to them, I may have one somewhere in the piles of parts. Anyway, the missing part is just a rectangular piece with threaded rods on top and bottom, then you place a thick (1/2" or more" rubber block on top and bottom of the part below and it gets squished together by the threaded bolts top and bottom.
Attachments
A041A0EF-CAE5-41B7-9888-341FC3139C13.jpeg
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
LBCNut

Post by LBCNut »

Thank you Mikeyr, From your description it appears that mine is missing the rubber blocks. I can see the two threaded bolts that come in from the top and bottom. I would think that the rubber blocks would have to be adhered to the each bolt for them to stay in place.
Attachments
IMG_0102.jpg
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

yes, that is all you are missing. Just the rubber blocks. I put 2 door stop rubber blocks on mine with contact cement and then when assembled made sure there was pressure on both top and bottom blocks which is what actually held it all together. I was still holding fine when I sold the car 34 years later.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
LBCNut

Post by LBCNut »

Thank you for guidance!