4AD gaskets - manifold and exhaust pipe

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
tufsinger
First Name: Thomas

4AD gaskets - manifold and exhaust pipe

Post by tufsinger »

All,

Had to pull the intake/exhaust manifold for repair. Received it back and trying to find a place I can acquire a gasket set. E-bay didn't turn up anything (maybe a guy in UK, maybe). Other searches have also resulted in a goose-egg.

Searched the forum and what I find is many have made your own. My mechanic and I tried gasket sealant as well as a hand-made manifold-to-exhaust-pipe gasket and it too is leaking. Both are leaking badly. Exhaust is spitting out smoke (we can try to tighten bolts and a new gasket, not too worried about finding a fix for that).

BUT...the manifold-block sealant is leaking coolant from the elbow piece that attaches to the manifold/block. I'd rather do it right than Gerry-rig something or makeshift a gasket set.

Anyone know of place to get a legit set?

Many thanks.

53 4AD Roadster - single carb
D70_2110.JPG
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 4AD gaskets - manifold and exhaust pipe

Post by mikeyr »

unfortunately, I don't know where to get one anymore. I made my own many years ago and used no sealant (I dont like that stuff) but you can't get the good gasket material anymore, just junk that is safe to eat or something like that. No asbestos, no nothing that actually seals.

There was a place that would make gaskets from copper sheets but they are gone also, sorry i am of no help...just here to complain that you can't get the good stuff anymore :)
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Thomas .. try .. www.autosurplus.com.au ...they have a lot of new old stock parts for many older cars and may be able to help .. worth a try they have helped me a few times..
Regards
Stephen
tufsinger

Post by tufsinger »

Thanks all. I found Kip Motor Company. They make gaskets and have templates for a 1500. A little pricey but not crazy. Ordered, we'll see how they look, work, and what they are made from. Let's hope it stops the leak and I can actually drive this thing.
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Post by bitsobrits »

A tip for use on fiber type gaskets (whether homemade or OEM type) is to smear a very thin and even coat of high temp RTV gasket maker on the fiber gaskets and allow it to fully dry before installing. This will help with sealing as well as later disassembly. I also find it allows for reuse of the gasket in most cases.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
tufsinger

Post by tufsinger »

Wanted to give those interested an update - received the gasket set from Kip Motors, WAY FAST, ordered Thursday and delivered Monday AM.

Was a mostly-complete set but misses one, no biggie, we made it ourselves.

Leaks are all gone, now just need to get that dang carb tuned. As a reminder, it didn't come with an original, but a similar type/size from a Jag (Solex b32 pbi-5 vs 30 FAIO). Running rich so need to try to rejet and such.

Will keep you all updated.