EXHAUST BRACKET MANIFOLD TO EXHAUST PIPE

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
WTXCARNUT
First Name: RONNIE

EXHAUST BRACKET MANIFOLD TO EXHAUST PIPE

Post by WTXCARNUT »

Can anyone tell me what type of bracket was used for the exhaust mounting from the manifold to the pipe......the current one I have has 4 bolts, I was wondering if it originally just had a side bracket with only two bolts like alot of MG's other British cars used? I have an exhaust leak, dont' have it all apart it to repair it, not much clearance to get the four bolts lose, which one is missing...
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Re: EXHAUST BRACKET MANIFOLD TO EXHAUST PIPE

Post by bitsobrits »

On my car (4AD) the exhaust pipe just had a flat square flange welded to the end of the pipe, with a flat gasket in between. 4 studs on the manifold. I believe this was the stock set up for all the dual carb cars.

I had a bunch of flanges made from thicker 3/8" stainless steel a few years ago (cut with a water jet). Had a local shop bend up the pipe (stainless) and weld on the new flange. Added new ARP stainless studs and brass nuts while I was at at, which of course required removing the intake manifold and re-tapping the stud threads. With a hand cut gasket made from flat exhaust gasket material purchased at NAPA, it's been leak free for about 8 years now. Lots of work, but doing things well is never easy.

Assuming I can find the box with the rest of the flanges, I'd be happy to send one to you for the price of postage.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT