4AD grill replacement

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Ken Hultgren
First Name: Ken

4AD grill replacement

Post by Ken Hultgren »

Hello
I am in process of sprucing up my 53 roadster to bring to Stowe in 2016. I never had the correct front grill and used a generic mesh type replacement.Assuming I will never find a replacement, I am thinking to manufacture my own. Has anyone out there done this? Specifically, any recommendation for source of the chrome slats that are similar to the originals?
Thanks
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 4AD grill replacement

Post by mikeyr »

yes people have made them, a quick search on this forum shows this post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=747&p=2921&hilit=slats#p2921 unfortunately, no pictures.

IF you have a set, it does not look hard to make new ones but if you don't have any for a pattern it would not be fun. I have some badly bent ones I would be willing to loan for a pattern.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Ken,

Yes, I have fabricated a new grille for my 1954 Roadster and believe there are also some others who have done the same.

The grille construction is such that it is possible to fabricate a reproduction by using quite normal sheet metal shop tools like a shear and a bending machine or press. I fabricated mine from stainless steel as it does not need to be chromed.

You can see some pictures about the fabrication process at my web site:
http://www.guru-group.fi/~kabu/index.ph ... &Itemid=61

I polished the slats separate before assembling them as a grille and just protected the polished surfaces with masking tape during the assembly. That is why the slats appear white on the pictures. I may find some additional pictures when I have time to look through my picture library.

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
Ken Hultgren

Post by Ken Hultgren »

mikeyr wrote:yes people have made them, a quick search on this forum shows this post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=747&p=2921&hilit=slats#p2921 unfortunately, no pictures.

IF you have a set, it does not look hard to make new ones but if you don't have any for a pattern it would not be fun. I have some badly bent ones I would be willing to loan for a pattern.

Thanks Mike- I suppose I could use solid stainless bar stock or some formed pieces if I can find a local shop. If you did have a small wasted original slat, I would appreciate using it as a template. I will devise how to hook it all together on my own. Otherwise, a simple width dimension of the piece would get me started

Tanks, Ken
Ken Hultgren

Post by Ken Hultgren »

kabu wrote:Hi Ken,

Yes, I have fabricated a new grille for my 1954 Roadster and believe there are also some others who have done the same.

The grille construction is such that it is possible to fabricate a reproduction by using quite normal sheet metal shop tools like a shear and a bending machine or press. I fabricated mine from stainless steel as it does not need to be chromed.

You can see some pictures about the fabrication process at my web site:
http://www.guru-group.fi/~kabu/index.ph ... &Itemid=61

I polished the slats separate before assembling them as a grille and just protected the polished surfaces with masking tape during the assembly. That is why the slats appear white on the pictures. I may find some additional pictures when I have time to look through my picture library.

Regards,
Pekka
Thanks again Pekka for your input. Your replacement grill is certainly very high quality and better than the original. Congrats for a very nice job. Finding a local shop who could bend the slat pieces is the key for me. Or I suppose I could use solid stainless bars instead. P.S. What is the width of the original slats ??
I also enjoyed your web site very much and amazed by all your great pics. The pics of the total wooden frame were amazing to me . When I restored my 4AD in 1980, I did not fully realize all the wood that was underneath. So while my Singer looks good, its not solid enough since the frame wood was never reinforced (especially on the overhung back end). Maybe its time to do it over, 35 years later?

Thanks again for your help . I really appreciate it

Ken
indian301

Post by indian301 »

There is a grill on ebay at the moment. Nothing to do with me.
Ken Hultgren

Post by Ken Hultgren »

indian301 wrote:There is a grill on ebay at the moment. Nothing to do with me.
I presume that's you, David. Thanks for the post. Of course when I picked it up today it was gone. Such is life. So I will go on pretending it was a piece of junk anyways. Thanks again, ken
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I will get you some good measurements over the turkey weekend along with some detail pictures.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Ed Ballam
First Name: Ed

Post by Ed Ballam »

Hi Ken,
I just noticed your need for a grill for a 4AD. I have an extra one. It needs refurbishing, but it's complete and not bent. I have no idea what it's worth. I am usually more interested in bartering for other parts. I have more photos and can send you more via email, or PM. Let me know. Ed B.
Attachments
DSC00169.JPG
DSC00169.JPG (169.5 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
Ken Hultgren

Post by Ken Hultgren »

Ed Ballam wrote:Hi Ken,
I just noticed your need for a grill for a 4AD. I have an extra one. It needs refurbishing, but it's complete and not bent. I have no idea what it's worth. I am usually more interested in bartering for other parts. I have more photos and can send you more via email, or PM. Let me know. Ed B.
Hello Ed and thanks for the response. Your grill looks like it can be rehabilitated indeed.I am interested either for purchase , swap, or a combo. I do have a good radiator shell already. Yes, I do have an assortment of Singer parts still available but I have not gotten around to typing it up.
Do you have a list of what u need ?

Ken Hultgren
PS my email is hultgrenken@outlook.com, cell 978 407 8310

Thanks again Ed
Ken Hultgren

Post by Ken Hultgren »

mikeyr wrote:I will get you some good measurements over the turkey weekend along with some detail pictures.
Hello Mike
Per the web posting I am going to buy a front grill fromEd Ballam. So I don't need the slat measurements we talked about.but thanks much for your offer to help
Ken