4AD front brake assembly?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Steve

Post by Steve »

I am trying to figure out the location of the two return springs on the front brake shoes and could use some help. The picture in the parts manual shows the springs going between the shoes but with the location of the holes and the length of the springs I have will not work. The springs will fit with one end in a hole in the backing plate and one in the shoe but it does not appear to be a good system. Also, the four springs are not the same that were in the "front brake baggie", there are pairs of two different sizes.
Does anyone have a better picture or diagram? Or can someone take a picture of their front brake assembly?

Thanks!
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

4AD Front Brake Assembly

Post by Mark Thompson »

Steve,
Yes, the springs hook in the backing plate and the shoe. I took some pictures of my brake assemblies with the wheel hub removed. Iwas unable to attach the pictures on the bulletin board because they were greater than 800x600 pixels. If you want to view them send me your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you. Good Luck

Mark Thompson
mrt2019@cs.com
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Mark,

2 options for your pictures.

1. go grab a copy of Irfanview, its free and resize them http://www.irfanview.com/

2. send the pictures to me and I will resize them and post them here.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Mike,
I am downloading a copy of Irfanview while writing this. Do I need to convert the file to a different format or just resize it? What are acceptable sizes? Isn't the clarity reduced as well? Sorry, I am a novice at this, but am eager to learn.

Thanks,

Mark Thompson
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Mark for the reply. I figured that is where they go but it sure appears strange. I see there were a few suggestions on re-sizing your pictures so I will watch here or you can send them to me at 52singer@hbci.com.

thanks

steve
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Mark Thompson wrote:Mike,
I am downloading a copy of Irfanview while writing this. Do I need to convert the file to a different format or just resize it? What are acceptable sizes? Isn't the clarity reduced as well?

Mark,

A standard JPEG should be fine, that is what your camera should have made by default. I would suggest you make it 640x480 but I believe the max is set at 800x600 (don't remember) the issue is that we still have some people with dialup so a smaller picture will download faster. No, the quality will not degrade.

Mike
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Mark Thompson

4AD Brake Assembly?

Post by Mark Thompson »

Steve,
Hopefully, here are the photos!

Mark Thompson
Attachments
Front End of 4AD with Wheel Assembly Removed
Front End of 4AD with Wheel Assembly Removed
Detail of Brake Spring Attachments
Detail of Brake Spring Attachments
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

awesome Congrats on getting the pics up. To the rest of you, remember that you can click on the pictures and get a larger version (assuming a larger version was uploaded as is the case with these brake pictures)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks again Mark, the pics look great and very familiar. Should be able to get the brakes back together today. I am a long way from the finish line but heading that way.

steve
Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Steve,
As I was rebuilding my own front brakes, I ran across something I thought I would pass along. On the front brake shoes, if you compare all four, you will notice that two of the shoes have pins on one side and two have them on the other side. When the shoes are installed these pins must engage the self-adjusters (snail-shaped discs). Believe me, they can be installed the other way, but the self-adjusters don't work!

P.S. : I don't know what happpened to the earlier photos, but they didn't appear when I logged on this time :?:

Best Regards,

Mark
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Mark Thompson wrote: P.S. : I don't know what happpened to the earlier photos, but they didn't appear when I logged on this time :?:
pics are there for me...were you logged in ?