questions about my 1953 1500 Singer

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
pete kneedler
First Name: pete

questions about my 1953 1500 Singer

Post by pete kneedler »

I just acquired a 1953 Singer 1500 and have a lot of questions. Here are a few. I have two sets of spoked wheels; one set uses knock offs, the other uses standard hub caps. Which set shall I restore and use?

Also, my carburetor uses a large air filter (looks like a small dirigible) that sit on top of the engine and fits onto the carb with a large rubber gasket? Are these large rubber gaskets available? Also, can this air filter be taken apart (the fabric screen inside is worn out)? Or do I have to saw it apart? Pete Kneedler in Carmichael, California
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: questions about my 1953 1500 Singer

Post by mikeyr »

The proper wheels for a 4AD are steel wheels with hubcaps. Many people switch to wire wheels because they look better but wire wheels were never offered by the factory.

For the air cleaner rubber gasket, you can get sheet rubber from any auto parts store and cut it to fit. I am not sure on the disassembly of the air cleaner, I thought the 2 air cleaners could be removed from the "dirigible" tube and you can get new what we call pancake air cleaners.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT