4AD Electrical - Positive or Negative

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
tufsinger
First Name: Thomas

4AD Electrical - Positive or Negative

Post by tufsinger »

Howdy all!

Just acquired a '53 4AD Roadster (it's in transport so anxious to get it and take it for a drive). I'm having trouble finding info on the electrical system. Based on what I've seen in the forums and been able to read online it looks like the 4AD's are definitely 12v systems, but there seems to be mixed information on whether they are positive or negative ground. The motor-trader document appears to show a positive ground system. Can anyone confirm?

Many thanks and looking forward to being part of the family.
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Re: 4AD Electrical - Positive or Negative

Post by Mark Thompson »

Definitely, positive ground!

Mark Thompson
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

absolutely positive that its positive ground :)

The confusion might be from the 1930's when Singer's were negative ground and I don't know when they switched to positive but the 4AD's are positive.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
tufsinger
First Name: Thomas

Post by tufsinger »

Fantastic. As I suspected. Will be a little tough putting a radio in it. May consider a negative ground conversion though I believe the vehicle has been restored 100% original (based on what the seller told me) and if that's the case I may need to figure out alternatives.

It was loaded on the truck today and set to arrive Saturday or Monday. Will let you all know and post picts.

Thank you!
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

No need for a radio. You will be singing a happy tune whenever you drive it! :D :lol:

Mark Thompson
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi,

I agree with Mark; no need for a radio :D

However, if you do want one, I'd leave the car electrics and polarity original and acquire a radio that is compatible with positive ground (I believe they are available in the "retro" ranges of some manufacturers). Another option is using a voltage converter approach like described for instance here http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et207.htm

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer