Wiring Harness

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
bmlindbert
First Name: Brook

Wiring Harness

Post by bmlindbert »

Someone in the forum was looking at doing or buying a new wiring harness, and this is my experience in just doing so.
After much research, I decided to go to Rhode Island Wire riwire.com and order the components to completely make a new harness for my vehicle. The big deciding factor was that they have in stock, all the gauges and wire braiding patterns necessary to make an exact replica of the original Lucas harness. My harness was so bad, and had been out of the vehicle for some time, so I used the Singer wiring diagram in the clubs database along with looking up the period Lucas wiring harness protocol, and followed it exactly. The Lucas protocol provides you with the primary and secondary color for every circuit in the vehicle and the Singer wiring diagram provides the terminal connection point for every wire end, if followed carefully. RIwire also has all the correct terminal ends and even parts to renew your light sockets and even battery cables and spark plug wires. They also have the original Lucas cast lead terminal ends to attach to the battery.
One final bonus is that once you have the harness done, you can return it to them and have it OverBraided in the original fabric braid as the original harness. All you have to do is tape any breakouts and Y joints to reflect the braid pattern. You wioll spend some time, but the result will be worth it. Don't forget to both crimp and solder every terminal connection you make. You don't want the terminal to fail and be the source of an open circuit. This was probably the source of most " Lucas, The Prince of Darkness" quotes.
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

Re: Wiring Harness

Post by Stephen »

Good information Brook,.. Another option is Vintage Wiring Harness http://www.vinwire.com.au/ who supplied my wiring and another Singer here in South Australia. All you do is order the 4AD harness and tell them if you want extra wires for indicators and they produce the lot in original braided colours, it comes with all the proper period joiners and ends, all you have to do is solder them on... cost me $500
Stephen