Lucas RB106 Control Box / Regulator

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Lucas RB106 Control Box / Regulator

Post by fly4ad »

Hello all,

As I'm gathering engine parts, I decided to have the starter and generator overhauled since they were both original and the generator unproven. The electrical guru doing the job wants the control box to make sure that the generator won't be damaged with an unproven regular and that they are both working fine together. The control box that came with the car is damaged and missing the cover so I'll need to replace the whole thing. I'm wondering what my best option is. I like the idea of having a genuine Lucas unit, or at least one that appears to be. I know that there are solid state conversions out there and new "Lucas Type" units available through Moss and others. I'm tempted to go the NOS route with a true Lucas unit, but is that the wise thing in this modern day. Questions, Questions :roll: !!! Can you throw some wisdom my way in this area?

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!
Fred
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Re: Lucas RB106 Control Box / Regulator

Post by bitsobrits »

Fred,

Sounds like you've found a knowledgeable, conscientious electrical guy to work with. Great find.

The stock Lucas type regulators work fine, especially given the low milage most of us tend to do these days. A new regulator should last many years, and you can always service them per Lucas to keep the points in good shape if you really like to worry about those things (you can find various Lucas service directions on the internet).

I replaced my control box with a repro unit from Holden about 6 years ago and have had zero issues so far. My concern with NOS Lucas parts is when was it actually made? 50's? 60s? 70s? My experience tells me the "newer" Lucas stuff was less well made than their earlier parts.

As for modern electronics on our cars, a suitable replacement (like from Pertronix, Lumentition, etc) for the distributor points is worthwhile IMHO, but not really necessary. Some people like the ceremony of fiddling with point gaps, I like to "set and forget".
Steve W
Singer 4ADT