Singer 4 AD Front Wheel Brake Adjusters

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
50's car buff
First Name: Louis

Singer 4 AD Front Wheel Brake Adjusters

Post by 50's car buff »

My front wheel brakes won't stay adjusted on the right wheel. How do I repair the snail adjuster so they stay adjusted? Can the adjusters be replaced, and if so how and where can I purchase them? I have removed the drum to see what the problem might be and it appears to be that the adjusters are loose and the teeth are worn. HELP Please
Louis
I have a 1953 4AD with front drum brakes.
Stephen
First Name: Stephen

Re: Singer 4 AD Front Wheel Brake Adjusters

Post by Stephen »

Hi Lois .. I had the same problem, and could not source the adjusters anywhere,.. I think the reason is that they are one piece with the brake backing plate.
Probably what has happened over the years, is that previous owners have tightened the adjusters right up tight, and it breaks the weld that holds the snail cam to the adjuster bolt.
I took my backing plates off ( I had to anyway) and filed the small teeth in the cam, then put a dob of weld on it to hold it together, and provided you do not tighten them up really tight, they will do the job..
You can do it on the car, just a little more time consuming ..
Hope this helps.
Stephen
kabu

Post by kabu »

Hi Louis,

I did not have any problems with my brake adjusters so did not have to made anything else to them as just good cleaning. As Stephen says, it is likely that the problem is just that the teeth are so work out that they do not hold the cam in the set position. one possible solution is filing the teeth deeper.

If I remember correctly, the cam axle is welded on the cam and thus cannot be changed without grinding the weld away.

I did some searching and it looks to me that British Ford used the same Girling brakes on some of their models in the early 50's.

Looking at this spare part diagram for the Ford Anglia 100E it seems that it has similar snail cams. Since the diagram does not show any nut or such to attach the cam to the axle, I suspect they might be welded as well.
http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/plates ... -plates-57

This British Ford spares shop sells a repair kit for these adjusters where the cam is attached to thew axle with a nut. I cannot say for sure but it looks that these spares may for our Singers also.
http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/produc ... repair-kit

Regards,
Pekka
4ADT Roadster, 1954 --- http://www.guru-group.fi/kabu/singer
50's car buff

Post by 50's car buff »

Thanks Stephen & Pekka for your expertise with this problem. I hope to have everything back in working order soon. Nothing is easy with these Singers, but so much fun.
Louis
50's car buff

Post by 50's car buff »

An update about my front brake problem. It turned out to be a problem with the brake shoes. I had them reshoed and the drums resurfased' not turned' and everything works like it did in 1953. If your brakes pull to one side check the shoes for moister and or oil this will cause them to pull.
Thanks to everyone for their input to my problem.
Louis