Castrol LMA

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Castrol LMA

Post by fly4ad »

Good day to all,
After reaching a major milestone of completing the woodwork repairs and getting the 4AD body to the paint shop, I redirected my efforts back to the frame and restoration of all that bolts to it. Picking up where I left off almost a year ago to finish the brake cylinder rebuilds, I noticed that the two cylinders that were complete were locked up tight! :cry: After further evaluation, the Castrol LMA brake fluid that I used as an assembly lube has completely evaporated leaving a dry wax residue that has locked things up and has forced me to start over with these two cylinders, not to mention the master cylinder that is already mounted back onto the frame. Obviously the LMA won’t work as an assembly lube for an extended period of time for the brake components. My question is what should I use that won’t evaporate and/or mess with the rubber seals? The seals and all are still OK, just gunked up! Would a thin coat of Vaseline work and not attack the seals?
Thanks again for all the help!!!
Fred
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Re: Castrol LMA

Post by bitsobrits »

Fred,

There is a special grease for brake seals, usually comes with the seal kits but can be purchased locally from a parts store. It's what the OEMs use for initial assembly, and will last several years without drying out. Often called "red rubber grease".

Or you could just leave the cylinders disassembled until you are ready for the final install with fluid.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Re: Castrol LMA

Post by fly4ad »

Thanks Steve, looks like the way to go! It's not readily available at local auto parts stores though, so I ordered a small amount via the web. Thanks for the help!!!! :P